Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in trying SRAM and thought that my Salsa Caseroll would be a good choice since it's being built to cruise around with my wife and make trips to the grocery store etc...

I have a Shimano R700 crank already, but need to purchase shifters, derailleurs and a cassette. Any reason not to go with the Rival stuff? IS there any compelling reason to wait until the 2009 stuff comes out?

Thanks,

Zach

·
Anti-Hero
10,405 Posts
Rival is a great value for the price. The 2009 group should have more crisp shifting since it's inheriting zero-loss tech. from the Red group (as well as adjustable carbon levers), so I don't think it would be a bad move to wait, but it does mean that once it drops, you'll be able to pick up the '08 stuff for a steal.

I haven't ridden the current Rival group, but I ride Red now, and the shifting is excellent. If I could get that in a low-cost group, I'd think it would be worth the wait.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
You could always go the way I just did if you don't want to wait. Rival everywhere except the shifters and cassette, which I went with Red for. The build is just being finished up and thus far, no issues to speak of.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that the Red cassette is not my "thing", but I never gave the Red shifters a thought. Using Red shifters and a Rival RD, would I still gain the maximum benefit from the "zero loss" technology? Does the Red front shifter have a trim option? Any reason not to use a Shimano front derailleur I have at the house with a Red shifter?

Thanks again for all the help,

Zach

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Agree with Andrea. And just to clarify, I went with the sexy Red cassette for this bike for the sexiness factor and weight. This will be my bling bike. I weighed out the advantages of the new gruppo and felt the shifters and cassette provided the most bang for the buck.

As for the zero-loss, pretty sure that all comes from the shifters themselves, not the RD. The shifter is still pulling the cable the same amount as on the Rival/Force stuff. Just doing it in a way that is much more immediate at the lever.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys (and Andrea)... have successfully talked me into the red levers - so - anyone have a favorite place to purchase them or should I be looking through all the web stores for a decent price?

Thanks again,

Zach

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Qstick333 said:
You guys (and Andrea)... have successfully talked me into the red levers - so - anyone have a favorite place to purchase them or should I be looking through all the web stores for a decent price?

Thanks again,

Zach
Bought mine NIB off Ebay for the best price I was able to find.

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
Personally, I'm not sure it's worth the extra $$$ to get red shifters for a cruisin' around grocery-getter. But that's just me - If I was building a bike like the casseroll, it certainly wouldn't be a spare-no-expense bike. (Not saying it's a bad bike - I'd like one actually. Just not one I'd put Red on...)

1st gen Rival works just fine for me.

As far as where to buy, I'd definitely get in touch w/ GVH Bikes. I bought my rival group from them for the same price as the cheapest full rival groups were going on eBay - without the hassle of having to bid etc. Not sure what sort of pricing they'll be able to do for you (only buying a few bits rather than a full group), but worth a try!

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One more question/thought -

It seems that the Red front shifter only has the trim on the large ring, while the Force/Rival shifter has it on the small ring. Is that correct? For a true grocery getter/cruise around bike, I think the small ring trim might be a better choice.

Anybody have either setup on a 50-34 compact? If so, where does the rubbing really start?

Thanks,

Zach

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Qstick333 said:
One more question/thought -

It seems that the Red front shifter only has the trim on the large ring, while the Force/Rival shifter has it on the small ring. Is that correct? For a true grocery getter/cruise around bike, I think the small ring trim might be a better choice.

Anybody have either setup on a 50-34 compact? If so, where does the rubbing really start?

Thanks,

Zach
True.

I have Force and Red (with a Rival FD) on 50/34s. The Red set-up definitely seems to rub more in the 34 in the 3 or 4 smaller cogs. Then again, I set it up (as well as I could) and it is going in for a fine-tuning/tune-up from my LBS today, so maybe they can tweak it abit. On the Force, I only hear rubbing in the two largest cogs while in the 50, otherwise pretty much silent.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Rival and Red

I have Rival set up with a campy UT compact on one bike and on another bike I've got Red shifters mated to a Force R. derailleur, Dura-Ace ft. derailleur, and Dura-Ace cranks.

As has been noted, the trim on the Rival is in the small ring, and I experience no rub in any gears.
I do get some rub on the Dura-ace ft. derailleur when I'm in my small chainring and the two highest gears in the back. However, that bike doesn't spend much time in it's small chainring, so it's a moot point.

My personal take on the matter is that if it's just for an around-towner go for the *cough* Rival*cough* Red! Or wait until the new 09 Rival is out to get most of the nifty trickle-down features.:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ebay has a lot of buy it now Rival parts available. For a runabout, I would go with Rival. Wait for the '09 stuff to drop and pick up the current stuff for a great price. I am running a full Force set-up and after tinkering with it to get it dialed, I like it much better than the Ultegra 9-speed I ran for the 7 years prior. Many have commented on the front deraileur throw, but I have had many non-cycling friends compare such movement with both the Ultegra 9 and Force and the only difference anyone I personally know has found is that with Ultegra you are using the big lever and with Force the small lever. Same distance, same amount of pressure. Good luck!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.