Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on Web MD today looking for recommended bug repellants (with all of the standing water around here, the skeeters are crazy), when I happened across an article about sunscreens. It seems, that some sunscreens are no good and some should be avoided. Who knew? I thought that I would get one from their recommended list, but I didn’t recognize a single brand and I’m sure the local grocery store or pharmacy doesn’t carry them. Where do you get this stuff? Online? They’re already pretty expensive as far as sunscreens go. I can’t imagine paying shipping.

The "best" list includes:
Badger SPF 30
Peter Thomas Roth Titanium Dioxide Sunblock SPF 30
Lavera Sun Screen Neutral SPF 40
UV Natural Baby SPF30+ Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
Vanicream Sunscreen Sport SPF 35
UV Natural Sport SPF 30 & Very Water Resistant
Colorescience Shake It Up Sunforgettable SPF 30
Mustela Bebe High Protection Sun Lotion SPF 50
Obagi Nu-Derm Physical UV Block Step Six SPF 32

Of the top 10 selling brands evaluated, only three got good ratings: Blue Lizard Australian Suncream SPF30/Baby, California Baby Water-Resistant HypoAllergenic Sunscreen SPF30-plus, and Aveeno Baby Sunblock Lotion Continuous Protection SPF 55.

· still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Article here.

I'm a newbie rider but tried a bunch of them as a kayaker over the years. Bullfrog seems to work pretty well and the latest one I've tried is the SPF35 gel. Good stuff. Haven't heard of any of the ones on their recommended list...

· Registered
14,776 Posts
kykr13 said:
Article here.

I'm a newbie rider but tried a bunch of them as a kayaker over the years. Bullfrog seems to work pretty well and the latest one I've tried is the SPF35 gel. Good stuff. Haven't heard of any of the ones on their recommended list...
I haven't heard of any of those either. What were their criteria (I probably won't bother to read the article). I also like Bullfrog gel. It doesn't seem to sweat off quickly, and it does "work," in the sense of preventing sunburn -- that's the only measurement I've got.

· Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How the Study Was Done

The sunscreens weren't tested in the lab; instead, researchers obtained an ingredient list for all 783 sunscreens. Next, they evaluated the sunscreen chemicals currently approved for use in the U.S., referring to nearly 400 peer-reviewed studies of the chemicals. They also used 60 industry and government databases to analyze sunscreen ingredient toxicity. They evaluated how well the products protect from both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays are associated with wrinkles and skin sagging but more recently have also been linked to skin cancer. UVB rays can lead to sunburn and skin cancer.

They also analyzed the stability of the products. They gave each product a sun hazard rating for effectiveness, taking into account UVA and UVB protection, as well as the stability of the sunscreen in the sun. They gave each product a health hazard rating, based on the safety of the ingredients.

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
I'm using California Baby. It's definitely pricey, but there is a bug repellant version. You can get the Blue Lizard stuff from drugstore.com. My local health food store sells the CA Baby and UV Natural stuff. And I think they just started selling the Badger stuff, as well.

My sister (in Texas) found the Badger stuff at a local feed store. If you have a mall with a Sephora, they sell the Peter Thomas Roth stuff. I'd stay away from the Aveeno baby stuff as it's not titanium or zinc oxide based.

The big negative of the titanium and zinc oxide stuff is that it's messy and greasy. I have (mostly) resigned myself to this. Kind of annoying that my face looks like I've been sweating before the ride even starts. I also have marks on my car (inside) where I've leaned with the stuff on. Kinda hard to get off. But I live in Hawaii and the sun this time of year is super strong, pretty much directly overhead.

· Registered
23 Posts
I have used Bullfrog SPF 35 gel and it's worked pretty well. I went for a while w/o using anything because I thought I was fine, bad sunburn and lots of aloe vera later, I learned my lesson. Bullfrog is the only thing I use now.

· Adorable Furry Hombre
32,540 Posts
I use Coppertone Ultraguard SPF50. Doesn't seem to sweat off-and doesn't seal off the pores.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Interesting. I've been using Neutrogena the past 2-3 years and it is on their avoid list. :(

Have used Coppertone and a bunch of others along the way. I like the screening capabilities of Ocean Potion zinc oxide but it doesn't breathe well so when I sweat, it feels weird...the water drops just sit there. I guess I'll have to call my derm and see what he suggests.

No matter what, I get darker each ride.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
Kuma601 said:
Interesting. I've been using Neutrogena the past 2-3 years and it is on their avoid list. :( .
Well, not necessarily. There are more than 60 Neutrogena products on their list, and the ratings vary considerably. It's kind of a complex database, and I wonder how useful in the end. The methodology of evaluating individual ingredients and assigning a numerical score based on how they fare in the literature is a little questionable, I think. EWG does a lot of good work in making information available to the public that industry and government should be providing, but I'm not sure how useful this one is, given the huge number of products and variety of ingredients.

Here's a link to the full report and database.
http://www.ewg.org/node/21719

· haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
Uva & Uvb

What I pay the most attention to is the UVA protection.

UVB protection is easy to see, as if a sunblock doesn't work you'll have a burn or tan. The SPF is for UVB protection. UVA, however, goes deeper in the skin and its affects are mostly long term.

A lot of ingredients used for sunscreen/sunblock are not photostable. They do okay blocking UVB, but actually break down and quickly stop being effective for UVA exposure. Some in as little as 20 minutes.

It's the UVA protection that has me using physical blockers like titanium and zinc oxide vs. all the other stuff, which are chemical blockers.

· Large Suburban Male
4,131 Posts
CopperTone Sport SPF 50.
I'm of Irish descent, and can get color when I even think of a sunny day, but so far this year, it seems to work pretty well. Haven't burned at all.

· What it is
705 Posts
Blue Lizard is messy but easy to find

You should be able to find Blue Lizard in a local drug store. I found it to be pretty messy and greasy. I picked up Bullfrog Sports gel for a test and found it to be both easy to apply and effective. I can get a sunburn crossing the street.

Ken

· Registered
143 Posts
I've been using NO-AD (spf 60) for several years now. It's good if you're just going to be outside and not really doing much, but I kind of think it doesn't work so well if you do a lot of sweating. When I bike, I just sweat it off, so I'm looking for something else to use when biking.

· Registered
2,931 Posts
It's kind of a complex database, and I wonder how useful in the end.
My impression too. It took way too long browsing to find the Neutrogena product I use for my face. I do appreciate them making the info available.

For them, the red flag hazard-wise is usually oxobenzone. I looked at some of the effective/low hazard sunblocks. UV Natural - $35 for a small tube?

Here's my current use:

For my face I use Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry-Touch Sunblock (SPF 45). Seems to work quite well. Others just cause skin problems.

On my arms I usually wear my thin long sleeve LG base-layer, regardless of the temp., with either Coppertone Sport 50 SPF or Banana Boat Sport 50 underneath.

Legs get Coppertone Sport 50 SPF or Banana Boat Sport 50. I think the Coppertone is better than the Banana Boat. Seems go on better and stay in place after hours of sweating, unlike the Banana Boat, which seems to cake up or goo up after a few hours.

I'm curious about the UV Natural, so I'm going to go pick it up. I report how it works.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.