Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding the stock Specialized Espoir Sport 700x25c tires with BlackBelt puncture protection that came on my bike when I bought it (370 grams per Specy site Specialized Bicycle Components ), but the rear is worn out and so it's time for at least a rear tire. I didn't rotate them and have heard that I should have to make them last longer.

Locally I have Specialized dealer, Performance Bike and several other LBS. After reading around it seems about 230g is a good weight for everyday reliable road tire. I've been riding every other day about 20 miles and once or twice a week 35 miles in flat to very hilly terrain. Thinking of going to 23mm tire, but not sure, I'm about 190lbs and ride all year all weather, rain or shine.

Local Specialized dealer has many Specialized tires to choose from and guy recommended these three.

Turbo Elite...$30 each
Specialized Bicycle Components
Casing: 60 TPI
Bead: Foldable
Center Compound: 70a / Shoulder Compound: 60a
Flat Protection: BlackBelt
700 x 23; psi 115-125; approx. weight 245g

Turbo Pro...$50
Casing: 127 TPI
700 x 23; psi 115-125; approx. weight 200g
700 x 25; psi 115-125; approx. weight 220g

Roubaix...$55
Casing: Endurant 120 TPI
Flat Protection: Endurant Casing and BlackBelt
700 x 23/25; psi 115-125; approx. weight 260g
700 x 25/28; psi 115-125; approx. weight 300g
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Performance has:

Hutchinson Fusion 3...buddy likes them, but I read couple reviews about them blowing off the rim, on sale $40
The best compromise between GRIP/PERFORMANCE/RESISTANCE
Triple compound
- hard rubber in the centre to improve wear and resistance to cuts and perforations, while also lowering rolling resistance
- Softer intermediate rubber to guaranty progressive accelerations in corners and safety thanks to a high level of grip
- Very soft lateral rubber for an unequalled grip in the tightest corners.
Kevlar Pro Tech
100% Kevlar reinforcement under the tread to increase the tire’s resistance to perforations and punctures by more than 50% without compromising performance.
210 grams
Hutchinson Tire : FUSION 3 - Kevlar ProTech

Michellin Pro 3...another buddy likes these, looks like discontinued they are not on Michellin's site anymore....on sale $40
Moto GP compound with Silica Energy rubber provides extra grip on the shoulders while lowering rolling resistance in the center
High Density Puncture Protector nylon belt delivers outstanding puncture resistance
High Protect Rim System protects the tire from rim bead friction
Pro 3 Race road tire's extra supple casing with 127 TPI and cross-ply fibers add flexibility, performance and light weight
No weight spec
Michelin Pro 3 Race Road Tire - Road Bike Tires

Michellin Pro4 Endurance or Service Course...on sale $55 and $60 respectively
Dual-compound tread ensures exceptional resistance to wear and enhanced grip when leaning through corners
The compound employed for the shoulders provides a very high level of grip on wet roads, while the compound used for the central part of the tread delivers greater protection against punctures and impact damage.
The combination of the 110 TPI casing and bead-to-bead breaker ply ensures outstanding resistance to perforation and contributes to the tire's remarkable durability
No weight spec
Michelin Bicycle USA - A better way forward®

Forte Pro Plus (the bead area of the tires seemed really thick and not very flexy for a folding tire)
Dual compound tread improves wear resistance, boosts traction in the climbs and provides faster center-line acceleration
Low rolling resistance improves cornering confidence at higher speeds
Armor Clad Technology provides durable bead-to-bead protection against sidewall cuts, abrasions and tread punctures, yet is thin and flexible enough that it doesn't compromise ride quality
120 TPI casing ensures a supple, stable ride
252 grams per PB site (package stated 235 grams...lol)
Forté Pro+ Road Tire - Road Bike Tires

I'd like to buy a tire locally if possible since rear is about shot, recommendations please. :)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
From the tires you listed I would go with the Michelin 4 SC in 25mm for your weight.
If you are open to other makes, also consider the Conti 4000s and GP 4-season. A good set of tires is one of the least expensive but smartest upgrades you could do to any bike.

·
Registered
235 Posts
At your weight you should consider sticking with 25s. The Michelins are popular tires and it is hard to go wrong with them. I also second the recommendation that you consider the Contis. I run the GP 4000S and really like them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and yes I'm open to other tire suggestions, these are just some locally available that seemed good. After more reading the Forte tires are out and it looks like 25s are way to go for me. Specialized tires have been good to me in all weather and surface conditions, thinking I may go with:

Espoir Elite 700x25...$35
Casing: 60 TPI
Center Compound: 70a / Shoulder Compound: 60a Compound: 70a for 700 x 25
Flat Protection: BlackBelt X 2
700 x 23; psi 110-125; approx. weight 260g
700 x 25; psi 110-125; approx. weight 270g

or

Turbo Pro 700x25...$55
Casing: 127 TPI
700 x 23; psi 115-125; approx. weight 200g
700 x 25; psi 115-125; approx. weight 220g

I'm leaning towards the cheaper Espoir Elite, why should I go with the more expensive or cheaper of the two?

·
δanned
7,006 Posts
I'd second the Continental GP 4000S. I've been very pleased with these tires, and I currently own the 700x23c size. In your case you might want to stick with a 25c tire for comfort reasons. Going from 25c to 23c you may notice a rougher ride and then get buyer's remorse. The performance difference, if any, is negligible. I've also been a fan of the Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 tire. It's another great all-around tire that is slightly cheaper than the 4000S. Puncture protection on both is great in my experience, and they roll well.

·
Registered
710 Posts
At your weight you should consider sticking with 25s. The Michelins are popular tires and it is hard to go wrong with them. I also second the recommendation that you consider the Contis. I run the GP 4000S and really like them.
I agree. Stick with the 25s. They'll give you a better ride and handling.

Keep in mind there is no standard for measuring so that one company's 25c tire may measure 26.5 when mounted or even 28.

Moreover, different rim and tire combinations will influence the final size. For example my 25c Conti GP 4000s tires measure a bit wider when mounted on my HED Ardennes rims than when mounted on my Mavic Open Pro rims.

All of the tires you listed--Michelin and Hutchinson are fine to ok tires. I've run Michelin and Hutchinson as well as Continental GP--both the 4000s and the 4 Season. Currently running Continental GP 4000s. There's nothing wrong with buying close out tires from Michelin, Hutchinson, and Continental (if you can find them).

I've never had the tire issues some people report--blowing off the rim, sidewall issues, etc. even when I was living and racing in the Midwest 12 months of the year on crappy farm roads and MUTs. One thing to check after switching tire brands is that the brake pads clear and don't make ANY contact with the tire (see above about different tire sizes and shapes). Buying local does make sense. That way if you do have an issue you can drop them off and get new ones if it is a warranty issue.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, LBS Specialized dealer was out of every tire in 25c....wtf? I bought a Continental 700x25c GP4000S and will run it in front and rotate old heavy stock cheap tire to the rear. Next time I will plan ahead and order 25C Specialized Espoir Elite or Turbo Pro for the rear.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,662 Posts
You mentioned that you should have rotated the tires. NO...you should NOT rotate them. The rear will wear 3-5 times as quickly as the front. You ALWAYS want the tire w/ the best/newest/least damaged tread on the front. When you wear out a rear, move the front to the rear, and replace the front w/ the new tire. Pretty much anyone can control a bike when it gets a rear puncture...the front, not so much. ALWAYS put the new tire on the front and don't ever rotate a partially worn rear to the front.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You mentioned that you should have rotated the tires. NO...you should NOT rotate them. The rear will wear 3-5 times as quickly as the front. You ALWAYS want the tire w/ the best/newest/least damaged tread on the front. When you wear out a rear, move the front to the rear, and replace the front w/ the new tire. Pretty much anyone can control a bike when it gets a rear puncture...the front, not so much. ALWAYS put the new tire on the front and don't ever rotate a partially worn rear to the front.

+1 On the rotation, BAD idea.

Vittoria Rubino Pro's or Vittoria Zaffiiro Pro are my favourites at the moment and readily available in 25c.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the Hutchinson fusion 3 on both my bikes and rate them very highly for both grip and wear. I have tried the Michellin Pro3 and 4 they are a good tyre for grip and they roll nice but I have found that do get damaged very easily

·
Registered
230 Posts
Performance has the Vittoria Cora's 320TPI tires on sale for 55-60 right now you can't beat those for the price. They will wear a little faster but you'll be happy to buy new ones a little more often when you feel the ride quality/speed they give you.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'd second the Continental GP 4000S. I've been very pleased with these tires, and I currently own the 700x23c size. In your case you might want to stick with a 25c tire for comfort reasons. Going from 25c to 23c you may notice a rougher ride and then get buyer's remorse. The performance difference, if any, is negligible. I've also been a fan of the Vittoria Rubino Pro 3 tire. It's another great all-around tire that is slightly cheaper than the 4000S. Puncture protection on both is great in my experience, and they roll well.
Bingo...have rode a few tires at this point (including Spesh offerings) and this one hands down rides the best thus far. Super comfortable ride with tons of grip...if it holds out in terms of longevity...I may never try another brand again...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bingo...have rode a few tires at this point (including Spesh offerings) and this one hands down rides the best thus far. Super comfortable ride with tons of grip...if it holds out in terms of longevity...I may never try another brand again...
You're referring to GP4000S I assume and not the Vittoria Rubino?

What front/rear tire pressures would you all recommend as a starting point considering my weight of 190lbs? 100/110psi F/R or?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I wouldn't put a conti 4000 on my ex wife's bike.

Medicare ride (if you've ever ridden a good riding tire, you'll understand) , coupled w low durability....what's not to like?

Michelin Pro4's FTW. Best ride + 2500+ mile durability.

IME

Len

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You're referring to GP4000S I assume and not the Vittoria Rubino?

What front/rear tire pressures would you all recommend as a starting point considering my weight of 190lbs? 100/110psi F/R or?
Yes, the Conti GP 4000s black chili...I was riding on them last night and still marveling at how well they ride. When I got back into cycling this time last year, I was about 195 lbs and ran 100-110psi...now, at 170...I run 90-100...

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,662 Posts
I wouldn't put a conti 4000 on my ex wife's bike.

Medicare ride (if you've ever ridden a good riding tire, you'll understand) , coupled w low durability....what's not to like?

Michelin Pro4's FTW. Best ride + 2500+ mile durability.

IME

Len
You may be the only person to think that Michelin Pro4's last longer than Conti GP's. At the same pressure, the Michelin probably rides a little better, but most of the Conti "rides like crap" reputation came from people running them at 120psi.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.