Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I flatted and went to fix it and noticed that I had worn through the tire (full fenders kept it from view). I like 28c slick tires with some sort of flat protection. I never liked the gumwall look of my current tires, i like blackwall. a reflective strip would be a bonus, as would light weight. I use different tires in the ice/snow season, so these are wet/dry tires for on road use.

before I look for the <10$ nashbar special tires (what I had on there), anything worth spending a few extra bucks on?

I sort of enjoy skidding, and dont feel bad doing it to $7 tires... brings back the inner child.

Thanks!

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:
I flatted and went to fix it and noticed that I had worn through the tire (full fenders kept it from view). I like 28c slick tires with some sort of flat protection. I never liked the gumwall look of my current tires, i like blackwall. a reflective strip would be a bonus, as would light weight. I use different tires in the ice/snow season, so these are wet/dry tires for on road use.

before I look for the <10$ nashbar special tires (what I had on there), anything worth spending a few extra bucks on?

I sort of enjoy skidding, and dont feel bad doing it to $7 tires... brings back the inner child.

Thanks!
You can get a specialized armadillo with a reflective sidewall but they only come in 25mm. I will say that it is a big 25mm. They run around $35, about $5 more than a standard armadillo and still have that same classic armadillo ride. They have red sidewalls and some siping on the edges of the tread, but the center is pretty much slick. Since you use a different set of tires for the winter, you could run a set of these until they dry rot in a couple of years. The only reason I ever replace mine is when they get too many cuts on them and start collecting shards of glass in the cuts. I have yet to run them to the casing. My mileage record is 8 months on a front tire, about 5k miles. I was pushing it a little on the condition of the tread.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Continental Top Touring

Continental Top Touring. You can get them with reflective sidewalls also. Nashbar and other catalogs often have them on sale. I had mine for 3 years and still no flats. Very long lasting, much better than Panarecer Parsella, slow rolling though for road riding, but great for commuting or touring. Also the quality of the tire is superb, but it makes it very hard to mount it on the rim.:thumbsup:

·
Unstable
195 Posts
jh_on_the_cape said:

Thanks!
Good questions. I was wondering what to replace my tires with when they give it up. I was looking at the Scwalbe Marathons and the Vittoria Randonuer (sp.? what a mess) both with reflective sidewalls and puncture resistant layer(s).

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
I have a pair of Armadillos (non-reflective) 700x23 on my geared bike and Gatorskins 700x28 on my fixie. I've had the Armadillos for about a year and the Gatorskins for a couple months with no flats on either so far. I used to get flats fairly regularly on my non-"flat-proof" tires, mostly from glass, and I'm very glad I switched.

·
Registered
95 Posts
lots of choices...

i prefer the vittoria randonneurs. great puncture resistance - no flats for me in over a year!!! - and the ride is nice. i run a set of 32s on a cross frame and i inflate them up to 90 psi and they feel great, almost plush. i like riding my commuter just because of the feel of the tires. and the road resistance isnt too bad, considering.
the armadillos are great too. i rode on those for a quite a long time also, with great results. i just dont like the ride - they are really harsh - and i think the vittorias have a much superior ride.
the gatorskins are nice also, i used those for commuting for about 3 months and had a couple of flats. maybe i just had bad luck with them, but i retired them for commuting after the second flat and bought the vittorias on the recommendation of a guy at citybikes in portland.
i use the gatorskins on one of my road bikes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just switched to Spec. Armadillos

jh_on_the_cape said:
I think bang for buck goes to the performance kevlar belted ones at $10. I will put some reflective tape on my rims and call it a day. i would feel guilty skidding on $30 tires!
I ran teh cheap performance kevlars last year and it went fine. I run 25s and they are a narrow 25. I bought some this year and within four rides the sidewall blue out... at a bad time. I was fed up so I went ahead and through out the cash for the armadillos. So far, they seem like great riding tires. They are a big 25!

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
My votes go to Panaracer Paselas and Vredestein Volantes

The Paselas are considerably lighter and more comfortable than Conti Top Touring, Gatorskins and Armadillos. As one would expect, they are less durable.

Vredestein Volantes are a more high performance tire than any of the above and hold up very well. I find they work better when inflated > 120 psi, which means more frequent attention than any of the above.

I just got some Hutchinson Top Speeds in 28c. They're tall and supple and feel great on the road, but I can't speak to their durability yet other than a recommendation from a woman I met on a charity ride who hated flats with a passion that bordered on silly. Her vehemence got me to try them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.