Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys, trying to choose between the Cycleops Fluid 2 and the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. the Cycleops is lighter (for portability) but from what i've read, the KK has better "road feel."
also looking at the KK Pro which is on sale at Performance but i believe is a discontinued model.

also, any experience with customer service from both brands?

thanks!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
My only experience is with the Road Machine. Mine is going on 7 years old and the original resistance unit still functions perfectly.

Regarding Customer Service: I literally wore out the original frame and Kurt replaced it, no questions asked. When I could no longer get the rear skewer to hold tight enough in the trainer frame, I called them to see if they might have some replacement parts to sell me to fix the problem. They said it was covered under the lifetime warranty and sent me a complete new frame complete with hardware for attaching the resistance unit. All they wanted me to do was return the worn out frame using the prepaid shipping label. You can't beat that for service.

·
Registered
151 Posts
simonaway427 said:
I have the Rock and Roll - love it love it love it.
Planning to pick up one of these myself budget permitting in the next month or two.

Do you have the Pro resistance deally? Read some reviews that seem to think you absolutely need it to get proper resistance if you plan to actually use the stand up feature.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Neither! Ride outside and enjoy yourself (and buy the lights/clothing necessary to get out there).

If I had to choose, I like the KK better.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the replies. Kurt Kinetic seems to have a pretty good following here and am leaning towards getting the Road Machine (or Pro). the Rock and Roll is pretty intriguing though, but a bit pricey.

appreciate the lone Cycleops post, gnatman!

another question: how loud do they get? or does that even matter?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@kbiker3111

that's what i've been doing all these years. it's my wife who needs the trainer but i'll be using it as well.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
The CycleOps Fluid 2 is very quiet.

The volume will largely boil down to how strong you are and your tolerance may vary. I simply like to hear my workout DVDs without cranking the TV.

·
Registered
154 Posts
MONsterD said:
thanks for the replies. Kurt Kinetic seems to have a pretty good following here and am leaning towards getting the Road Machine (or Pro). the Rock and Roll is pretty intriguing though, but a bit pricey.

appreciate the lone Cycleops post, gnatman!

another question: how loud do they get? or does that even matter?
If you want quiet take a look at the 1up trainer. Your drivetrain will be the loudest thing you hear.

Gene

·
Registered
332 Posts
KK no longer sells a pro version. They have the Pro kit that will work on any of their trainers built starting in 2010.

I'll most likely be getting a KK this year.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,158 Posts
Cycleops fluid. I've had one for almost ten years. I just started weaping fluid. I mean,
*barely* weaping. If I didn't clean the trainer, I'd have never noticed it.

Shipped it back to them, no haggle, no worries, they sent me another one. Done.
Great customer service, real people.

If you ever want rollers??? Sportcrafters. Even better customer service!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had the KK Rock and Roll with the heavier resistance unit for about two years. So far, so good. But I'm not sure I would pay extra for the Rock and Roll part again. It doesn't feel at all like you're on the road, so I usually don't get out of the saddle.

·
Registered
791 Posts
steve m said:
I've had the KK Rock and Roll with the heavier resistance unit for about two years. So far, so good. But I'm not sure I would pay extra for the Rock and Roll part again. It doesn't feel at all like you're on the road, so I usually don't get out of the saddle.
Depends on what you do and how you have the bushings set up. I use the included Spin DVD that has you out of the seat during the intervals. Also, during just normal spinning, I loosen the bushings right off, so it forces you to use steady pedal strokes, or else the bike starts swaying back and forth.

The rock and roll was totally worth it in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts