Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a number of threads about this when I searched, but I was hoping for specific advice.

I'm really looking at the Cycleops Fluid2, Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, and 1Up USA (the last of which I only heard about 2 minutes ago reading a different thread). I've already decided on a trainer vs rollers. My main concern is a quiet ride that still has a good feel and provides enough resistance (I don't need massive resistance for sprints or anything like that, but I'd like to pick up the pace a bit at times).

The 1Up USA appears to be the cheapest, followed by the Cycleops and KK. What is everyone's experience with these trainers? How quiet are these bad boys? Quiet enough to ride in my apartment without having to turn up the tv and without waking up my girlfriend in the other room? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

·
Don't Tread on Me
993 Posts
I can only speak for the KK Road Machine as it's the one I own.

I've only been riding since last August, and bought one last fall. I can honestly say that the KK exceeded all my expectations from the things I've read here, and have no problem recommending it to anyone.

Smooth, quiet, constant and excellent fit & finish.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've used a Cycleops fluid trainer for about the last 5 years and am satisfied. I've never used any of the others or rollers. I think they make a good, sturdy product and suspect that the noise would be about the same for the alternatives you cited.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I've owned a Kirk Kinetic. You won't even have to turn up the TV/radio while training. The Kirk is bulletproof, smooth, realistic, and quiet. It will last a lifetime. Worth every penny.

While noise won't be a problem, vibration will be. It will be no different, even if you chose rollers. It'll result in a low level rumbling that will certainly be heard be downstairs neighbors, if any, and the vibration will likely carry through the floor joists into the next room.

I tried all sorts of vibration damping solutions and had no luck. You could try placing the trainer in a corner near two adjacent walls. The floor should be stiffer there and the walls may help damp the vibration by compression of the floor joists. Otherwise, I'd suggest riding in the basement or garage if possible.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses... my only question is if there are other trainers out there that are quieter than those I listed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts