Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a set of Roval SCS Control carbon wheels for my Gravel bike which are "tubeless ready". Internal diameter of 22mm. I am in the process of buying a second set of wheels for this bike that will be built on Pacenti SL25 rims, also tubeless capable with an internal dimension of 20mm.

I'm going to run CX tyres (and tubes) on one set and thinking about going road tubeless on the other. Sticking with tubes on the CX tyres as Challenge recommend not going tubeless with their open tubulars.

Given that both wheelsets are capable of running tubeless, is there a benefit or preference to running either of the two sets tubeless, is one more suited to tubeless than the other for any reason? I don't think so, but someone may have other ideas.

cheers.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - having never tried tubeless before, was just wanting it to be easier rather than harder but sounds like either will be fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is there any issue running tubed tires that say no hookless on them on the roval scs carbon wheels? I bought a set of Vittoria rubino pro g+ 28mm to put on a specialized diverge but noticed the tire said no hookless as did a set of conti gp 4000. I didn't have issue mounting or seating the tire. Will it roll off? Are there 28mm tires that can be mounted on hookless rims?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Best to run tubeless tires on tubeless rims. Lots of folks run non-tubeless tires on tubeless rims (hooked or not) but each combo is subject to testing before the green light is given; some work better than others when pushed towards their limits and some work better than others when pressures are reduced.
The tires you are mentioning may be prone to burbing at lower pressures. I can't tell you for sure because I never felt compelled to find out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was worried about it, until I saw roval aka specialized post a video of them putting 176psi on a mountain bike tire before it blow off. So I'm running 80- 85 right now, on a 28 mm tire. I'll just watch to see

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm running 25/28mm Specialized Roubaix's at 65/75psi and Challenge 33mm CX tyres at 45/55psi on Roval SCS without problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts