Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to my work schedule, family duties and school, I decided to sell two of my road bikes.

Which two should I sell? Help me decide.

Thanks,

RXR - 2009 model with full 7900 w/500 miles.
Highlight - Time Carbon Bar, Kinlin XR-300 rims, DT 240 hubs and CX-Ray spokes

VXR Proteam - 2008 model with 7800 w/2000 miles
Highlight - Fulcrum Racing Zero Wheelset.

Serotta Legend Ti - 2000 model, I think. Full 7800 around 5000 miles.

· Registered
681 Posts
There's a lot of money sitting there.

Sell all three and buy a bike that fits you perfectly, looks exactly as you want it to, has exactly the components you wish it had, and matches the style of riding you do most often (or plan to do).

If the bike I just described happens to be one of the three you own then problem solved.

· Registered
5,480 Posts
MarvinK said:
Can I vote the Serotta w/7900?
If that wasn't a typo, I'm kinda having the same thoughts about the OP keeping the 7800 groupsets. :D

This is senseless for the OP, but with my partial-ness to 7800 would keep the RXR, and part out the VXR to keep a 7800 groupset at hand and the Fulcrum Zero's. But whether you have enough wheelsets or another 7800 set at hand, or don't want to do that, I'd keep the RXR.

One way of "seeing things": The Serotta is nice, and presumably not a crippling bike, but eh, you've managed to let two more bikes get your attention since then (the two Time's). If the bike was really pleasing you, it would've been numero uno to this day. Same goes with the VXR: You apparently wanted another Time (the RXR) to satisfy yourself.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
Which do you enjoy riding the most?

Not knowing your ride preferences, my thought was keep the RXR followed by the Serotta. I like classic styled bikes but my gut says the RXR is a really nice ride.

· Cpark
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kuma601 said:
Which do you enjoy riding the most?

Not knowing your ride preferences, my thought was keep the RXR followed by the Serotta. I like classic styled bikes but my gut says the RXR is a really nice ride.
That's the dilemma.
I enjoy all three bikes, and loved them all.
The problem is that I barely have time to ride once a week, if I get lucky.
The Serotta is custom, and other two Time fits me like a glove as well....
I'm leaning towards selling both Time since I'll get more $ for them than a 10 year old Titanium...

Thanks everyone for the feedback,

· Registered
332 Posts
I would keep the RXR. That thing looks freakin' sweet. It's like a shark. The Serotta's classic and all, but it's so "tame" compared to the RXR.

But if it's money you need, you will make plenty more by selling the Times. I would almost consider parting the RXR and swapping some of the parts onto the bike you choose to keep. Maybe moving the Kinlins, too.

· Registered
1,496 Posts
I just bought a used VXR Proteam and love it.
You will get more money for the RXR and the VXR is still a great ride.
Personally I think the VXR looks classic.
Just curious, how much difference is there between the RXR and VXR?
Don't know much aboput Ti or Serotta's

· Behind on post count
305 Posts
Sell the Looks. My guess is you love the Serotta but wanted the "cutting edge" hence the Times. By the time your family has matured enough that you are able to slip away and ride again, the Looks are going to be dated.

· Registered
681 Posts
TiCruiser said:
Sell the Looks. My guess is you love the Serotta but wanted the "cutting edge" hence the Times. By the time your family has matured enough that you are able to slip away and ride again, the Looks are going to be dated.
LOL @ the interchangeable use of "Time" and "Look" in this reply. While some may gasp in horror I find it incredibly telling as it means for all their - HEY LOOK AT ME I'M A TIME AND I HAVE MASSIVE LOGOS SO THAT EVERYONE KNOWS I'M A TIME! TIME! TIME! TIME! - You casually overlooked them. You certainly didn't mistake the Serotta for anything but a Serotta. Something to be said for understated elegance.

· Behind on post count
305 Posts
Frith said:
LOL @ the interchangeable use of "Time" and "Look" in this reply. While some may gasp in horror I find it incredibly telling as it means for all their - HEY LOOK AT ME I'M A TIME AND I HAVE MASSIVE LOGOS SO THAT EVERYONE KNOWS I'M A TIME! TIME! TIME! TIME! - You casually overlooked them. You certainly didn't mistake the Serotta for anything but a Serotta. Something to be said for understated elegance.
Doh!!:p To be honest, for some reason, Time/Look are interchangeable in my mind. Snazy/Racy pieces of plastic. But, by my name, you can tell I'm a bit biased. :p

· Registered
1,128 Posts
If you want to maximize your potential return & the serotta is indeed a custom. Then your best bet is to sell the times & all the parts piece by piece. The serotta still commands a high value being ti but because it is custom means that the # of potential buyers is limited.

I would sell the times as frame & forks only with the headsets. Then sell all the parts piece by piece. You will get more money by doing it this way but it will be a little bit more work. Depending on which 7800 group is in better shape, that is the one that I would sell & keep the remaining one on the serotta. 7800 is a group that is still highly sought after & fetch top $$$ if it is in good condition.

· Registered
3,126 Posts
The Serotta being custom, unless another wants that spec, it may be a tough sell. In which case, it was built for you...keep that one. There will be other Time frames and likely with similar geo's to buy later if you choose.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.