Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I currently own a set of 50mm carbon tubular that I used as my race set and on TT. For the same price, I could buy a rear disc wheel or a set of 80mm(front) and 100mm(rear). So which combinaison would be faster for a flat TT? 50mm(front) and rear disc or 80mm(front) and 100mm(rear)?

I'm leaning torward the 80/100 combinaison, I assumed it would be a more versatile wheelset. But if we are thinking about pure speed, which setup would you choose?

Thanks.

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
Well like most other answers, it depends. If you have nothing but burly headwinds the whole way, the disc is going to be the best solution. However, if the course is full of sketchy crosswinds, then the 80/100 combo would be slightly more manageable. However, you said in the last sentence you wanted a versatile wheel. Why not just go with a 60-ish mm depth if you wanted something that was more practical? I just think 80mm up front would be a bit scary.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Or, get the 80/100 set to use on relatively calm days, but use the current 50mm front the OP already has when its windy. Not quite as good as the 60+ for the front, but if 80/100 is the only choice besides the disk, I'd opt for the 80/100 set.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
cdhbrad said:
Or, get the 80/100 set to use on relatively calm days, but use the current 50mm front the OP already has when its windy. Not quite as good as the 60+ for the front, but if 80/100 is the only choice besides the disk, I'd opt for the 80/100 set.
Or get the 80/100 set plus a $90 wheel cover from wheelbuilder.com to conver the 50 mm rear to a disc.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, how about a 100mm rear wheel with a 50mm front...would I see a gain?

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
What's your main focus? I mean, the uber deep wheels look cool on a road bike, but I think most people leave them at home during close quarters racing for a reason or two.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
emartin said:
Thanks for the reply, how about a 100mm rear wheel with a 50mm front...would I see a gain?
Which wheels do you have and are thinking of buying? There is data out there but mostly from manufacturers.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Like AM stated, there are a ton of options...Hed H3 fronts might just be your best option for TT, depending upon how fast you really are. Other people have recommended a wheel cover, as do I. It's tough to be beat disc like performance for under $100. Depending upon budget and preferences, there's a lot to choose from...as wheel as taking environment (wind, terrain) into account.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
unless you are a complete shunter or unless it is a seriously windy day you shouldnt have any probs with an 80mm on the front of a TT bike

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I currently have Planet X Pro Carbon 50 tubular wheels. They actually are gigantex rims. Wheel cover may be a option but I thought they were not legal.

My main goal is gain more speed. Around here it's pretty flat and usually windy. On a 20km TT, I'm capable of average speed around 40-42 km/h. I have raced for years but decide recently to improve my TT. I actually recently built a dedicated TT bike...I'm still working on the bike fit.

·
Banned
16,915 Posts
emartin said:
I currently have Planet X Pro Carbon 50 tubular wheels. They actually are gigantex rims. Wheel cover may be a option but I thought they were not legal.

My main goal is gain more speed. Around here it's pretty flat and usually windy. On a 20km TT, I'm capable of average speed around 40-42 km/h. I have raced for years but decide recently to improve my TT. I actually recently built a dedicated TT bike...I'm still working on the bike fit.
Off hand I don't recall any published data on those wheels but I'll dig around.

Wheel covers are fine for everything except the Masters National Time Trial and anything covered by the UCI. They are legal for all District Time Trial Championships to my knowledge. Not legal as well if you are going for a National Record.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts