Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Surly Cross-Check, which will mostly be used for commuting and light offroad, with maybe 2 or 3 cyclocross races per year.

I'm trying to decide between a set of Easton (velomax) Vista wheels, and Ultegera/Open Pro 32-spokes. Both are around $200, so price isn't really a factor. I usually tend to prefer performance over reliability, but since this is a commuter, maybe the 32-spokes are better?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
dez182 said:
I'm trying to decide between a set of Easton (velomax) Vista wheels, and Ultegera/Open Pro 32-spokes. Both are around $200, so price isn't really a factor. I usually tend to prefer performance over reliability, but since this is a commuter, maybe the 32-spokes are better?
The number of spokes isn't going to make a wheel perform better or worse. Check the actual weights of the two wheelsets -- they may be close. In general, I'd prefer a set of handbuilt 32-spoke wheels over a macine built set of a similar weight.

Most $200 OP/Ultegra wheelsets are machine built. They will need to be detensioned and retensioned by a skilled wheel builder before they are fit to ride. Best to spend a few more bucks and get custom built. As far as the boutique wheels go ... I think the lower cost wheels are machine built.

I've bought a couple of sets of machine built wheels and they always go out of true faster. They are also the only wheels I can recall breaking spokes on apart from loaded touring or unreasonable abuse.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
agreed

and I prefer standard 3x lacing over radial for cx any day of the week. lateral rigidity with a bit of vertical compliance (3x) makes more 'sense' to me for cx than vertical rigidity, lateral compliance (radial)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.