Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which wheels... which wheels???? 04' SLs or Velocity aerhead rims with AC hubs. Which wheels... which wheels????

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/roadbike/gallery/files/Mvc-003s(5).asp

JB

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Between those two, definately the SL's. The AC hubs are poopoo, IMHO (I've got 2 sets, both are on their 3rd set of bearings).

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Who makes AC hubs? I've heard of many problems.

Regarding wheels, I agree with Jed, SL's
I could be mistaken, but I think AC makes their own hubs in-house (http://www.amclassic.com/Road_Hubs.html). I have not put enough miles (maybe 300) on mine to really say anything one way or the other. I like the front hub... the rear is 'ok', but doesn't make me go 'WOW'!!

JB

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Save your money

Go with Aeroheads, Ultegra hubs and some nice spokes, DT Revo's or Aero's or Sapim Laser or CX-Rays.

I have the SL's and like them. Great value, they're not. I've not used AC hubs but have used Ultegra's, DA's and Record, all of which are very user friendly and can be found reasonably priced.

If you ever taco the SL or have a problem with AC hub, it's going to cost you time and money.

Just my .02.

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
Agree with Boneman...

Go with the Aeroheads and either DA or Record hubs depending on whether you like Japanese or Italian components. If you like Shimano and want to spend some money, try some Chris King hubs laced to the Aeroheads.

But then again, I'm a fan of the "boring" wheels.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've got 5000+ miles on my AC 420's

No problems to speak of concerning the hubs. The only complaint is that they tend to growl a little when you tighten the QR release too much. One of my bikes has track dropouts that slip a bit unless the QR is super tight. This causes a deep growl when freewheeling. No difference in performance.

Nice wheels. Nice hubs. I say this cause they haven't self destructed on me like other posters here. That would change my tone considerably! ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Simple, Light, Strong, Inexpensive Wheels

This isn't a tough one. Get some handbuilt wheels using off-the-shelf components. Here is what our shop scales says: American Classic rear cassette hub - 239g; Campagnolo Chorus rear cassette hub - 267g. A difference of 28g. I built up the Chorus hub with a Sun Venus rim (no lightweight at 452g measured), 32 spokes (DT 15/16), and brass nipples. The total weight for the wheel was 925g. That's lighter than the claimed weight of every 2003 Mavic rear wheel except the Ksyrium SL, and it was only 85g heavier than that without even trying to be light.

Todd Kuzma

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JBergland said:
Which wheels... which wheels???? 04' SLs or Velocity aerhead rims with AC hubs. Which wheels... which wheels????

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/roadbike/gallery/files/Mvc-003s(5).asp

JB
If you go to the link, you'll see I ALREADY HAVE both sets of wheels I have mentioned. Based just on LOOKS, which wheel would you go with?? Based on performance, which wheels??

JB

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
JBergland said:
If you go to the link, you'll see I ALREADY HAVE both sets of wheels I have mentioned. Based just on LOOKS, which wheel would you go with?? Based on performance, which wheels??

JB
Looks, unquestionably the SLs. Performance? I've been told that the SLs are fast wheels. I see a lot of them at the road races I've been to, and riders say they're pretty darn fast.

FWIW: The AC hubs are made (outsourced) in Taiwan.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Which wheels?

JBergland said:

JB
Oh, sorry about that. Based on looks? That's pretty subjective. Pick the ones that YOU like best. Who cares what we think? Based on performance? There about a wash. Weights and aerodynamics will be similar.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I like the AC/Aeroheads better. I'm sick of seeing those SL's and much prefer a more traditional looking wheel. Of course I'm riding on handbuilt 32 spoke 3x wheels so I'm deffinetly biased.

·
Unrepentant Mountainbiker
624 Posts
The Aeroheads

Nice stealthy look and not nearly as busy as the Ksyrium. That is just too much going on on the rim for the bike to look clean. Manufacturers have gone over the top with the branding and labeling thing. We have all given in to it as well. It now seen as a status symbol to advertise for them! oh well, what do I know, I just 'upgraded from generic hubs and Alex AT400's to a set of Mavic Cosmos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts