• American Classic CR-420

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Bontrager Race X lite

Votes: 5 50.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set of American Classic CR-420 wheels with about 45miles on them and I just got a used Trek with Bontrager Race X Lite wheels with unknown miles but more than the other set. Which set of wheels would you keep? I am thinking the AC 420 are better but not sure so I am asking.

· Kant phuckin sphell
650 Posts
Looks like your poll is closed with a dead tie, so I will decide for you and tell you why.
The Bontragers, every town has a Trek dealer so you can replace the spokes on them when they break in a couple of weeks when your shop gets them in. The Bontragers that I have worked on have very nice hubs made by Hugi and are bulletproof. The rims are strong and areo enough. I dont really like the build quality of AC hubs and have seen lots of failures as well as read about them online. The rims look cheap and I do not know much about the spokes.

As much as do want to dislike Trek they do have some nice wheels on them (yes,the frames are nice too).

· Registered
180 Posts
I've got a broken set of 420's hanging in the back of my shop. Having had to deal with the psychedelic freehub mechanism they have, I would run the Bontrager wheels long before the AC. The freehub was, at one point, the subject of a large recall, and American Classic seems more interested in pseudo-lightweight designs than any actual engineering. I doubt that I will ever use American Classic components ever again. Better, lighter, and more durable alternatives exist - Hugi, Thomson, Chris King, and others. The 420 wheelset will fetch a premium on eBay, though. The Bontrager wheelset has interchangeable freehub bodies, so you can run a Campagnolo setup if you so desire.

· Banned
2,767 Posts
Well, people complain about AC hubs, and I had a DS rear hub flange fail on a set of Race X Lites--the result of an utterly crap flange design and stupid paired spokes. FWIW, the hub is made by DT Swiss, not Hugi, since Hugi isn't around anymore, except somewhere inside the depths of DT Swiss. Now DT Swiss hubs are typically top notch, but you'll notice that none of their hubs have the stupid design werein two spokes go into a single, rather long slot in the flange.

So I guess my answer would be to sell both of them and get a set of wheels built up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.