Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace the Easton Circuits that came stock on my '05 Fuji Pro bike. I like the Circuits and will be moving them to my other bike. I just thought I would treat myself and get something a little lighter and more "showy" than the Circuits. Consider this my mid-life crisis purchase. :)

The following wheelsets are in my list for consideration:

1) Easton Tempest II
2) Ritchey WCS Protocol
3) American Classic CR420 (w/bladed spokes)
4) Mavic Ksyrium SL
5) Odds and Endos custom build w/Niobium rims and Speedcific hubs

All weigh about 1500g. Most can be had for around $500-$600 online (except the spendy Mavics).

Can anybody help me with my decision? I've done a lot of searching through the reviews and posts, and honestly there's just too much noise for me to make sense of it.

I'm currently leaning towards the Eastons because they have a reputation for being very smooth, stiff, and well constructed (i.e. durable). I also hear the Ritcheys are nice. And of course, everybody and their brother has the Ksyriums and swears by them -- my only concern with them is the sketchy hub quality (seen 2 pairs blow out hubs).

More about me: 37 yrs old, 150 lbs (pretty muscular short guy), most of my riding is fast group rides or longer (70mi) tours. The bike is a 54cm '05 Fuji Pro carbon w/Dura Ace and other high-end bits. My riding is primarily in AZ, so I see it all -- flats, climbs (some >10 miles), rollers, twisties...everything. I am also pretty hard on my bikes.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
30 Posts
We had ritchey wheels, and I would not recommend them. Best factory wheels I have used
1) campagnolo Eurus(2004), neutron
I have seen too much trouble with the Mavics to recommend them.
You should also consider DT swiss (gorgeous hub)

·
building my engine
163 Posts
hairscrambled said:
Campy Eurus or Neutrons. You can get them with Shimano freehubs. The 06 Eurus has aluminum spokes and they ride more like Ks.
Hey dude, could you please post the link of an online retail store that sells these? I would like to upgrade my Shimano's WH-R560 by the end of the year, and have always like the Campy's Eurus wheels.:) Thank you.:)

·
Registered
259 Posts
WillsDad said:
Try 11 speed.com. Best prices I've seen - by far. Check the forums here for reviews of 1their sales/shipping/service.

http://www.11speed.com/
+1, 11speed is where I bought my Eurus from. They promptly replied(in English) to a couple e-mails I sent them, and had my wheels to me in Alberta Canada in 7 days for substantially cheaper than anywhere else.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't recommend the Ritchey wheels or the Am Classics. I've done service on both sets on many occassions and am not at all impressed with their hubs or rims. My favorite wheels are Campy but Mavic and DT wheels are good choices as well. Personally, I don't trust rims that are pinned/sleeved as opposed to welded. I've haven't seen the Speedcific hubs in person, but feel they might be a little overpriced.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
marimba_artist said:
I don't recommend the Ritchey wheels or the Am Classics. I've done service on both sets on many occassions and am not at all impressed with their hubs or rims. My favorite wheels are Campy but Mavic and DT wheels are good choices as well. Personally, I don't trust rims that are pinned/sleeved as opposed to welded. I've haven't seen the Speedcific hubs in person, but feel they might be a little overpriced.
Pinned or sleeved rims are just as strong as welded rims. Plus, if there's some misalignment at the joint, that can be fixed in the wheel build. That can't be done w/ welded joints. There's nothing to fail at a sleeved or pinned joint because the spoke tension is pulling the joint together!

·
Registered
94 Posts
American Classics

I have had American Classics and loved them bUT I think I will go a different route when I purchase my next set of wheels.

After reading and picking up TONS of useful info on this site I will probably ither build a set up of open pros with Chris King Hubs or Dura-Ace (leaning towards Kings) or go with the Neuvation R.28 SL. Friends who have rode the Neauvations really like them and a friend with the OP and CK set up loves the wheelset.

Building up a set in the long run will be comparable in price and easily serviced. My AC 420 have some hub issues now after 2 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.