·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
I have a 2012 CAAD10 Ultegra (3)
I weigh 200lbs
I occasionally race, fast group rides
I want a wheelset that I can train and race on and I really believe I want a set of medium aero rims

I have a few narrowed down and I was wondering what you might recommend based on value and performance...

Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLRs
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLEs
Zipp Firecrest 404 Clinchers
Reynolds Forty-Six

Thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
With a budget of $3000 consider two sets of wheels:
  • Shimano DuraAce C24 clincher/tubeless for training and windy days (< $1000)
  • 40-50mm carbon rim tubulars for race day (I am no expert but you should be able to find something good for around $2000).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm a bigger rider too and have nothing but good things to say about my DA 7850 50mm clinchers. I have rode these as everyday wheels and they have 20k plus on them and still true, never touched them. I did get a new set of Mavic CCU's, will see how they compare when weather gets better.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've had lots of wheels over the years. Based on your choices I would go with either the Carbone SLR or Zipp Firecrest. I personally don't like to have separate wheels for training and racing - I like racing on what I train with as well. While tubulars provide maybe a slight benefit in crit type situations, clinchers are at least as good in every other condition. Plus having to carry a spare tire is no longer appealing for me.

·
Hanging 10 bra
1,125 Posts
Check out Boyd new redesigned wheelsets! They look to be really nice and worth the money. Or if you wanted, snag a set of the 38mm 2012 wheels at a major discounted cost. I have quite a few pairs of their wheels and very much happy with the design and how they hold up. I have also had tons of brand name wheels too and so far these have by far out performed those.

·
&#948;anned
7,006 Posts
You might want to try out a set of Mad Fiber wheels. They never need truing since the spokes are fused to the hubs and rim, and they've been tested to hold over 600 lbs.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I'd get a $1200ish set of alloy clinchers. Hight end hub of choice with C2 rims and CX Ray spokes.

I'm not opposed to spending money on bike stuff especially when it's the money of a stranger on the internet so I don't say that because I don't think you shouldn't spend the money......I just think that's the best choice for a set it and forget it do everything wheel which it sounds like you are looking for.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.