Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, which would be better? Racing over 100 miles, lots of climbing/descending.

Wheelset 1: rear 16 spokes(paired) 1X on drive and non-drive side, front 16 spokes 1X (paired)

Wheelset 2: rear 24 spokes(paired) 2X on drive and non-drive side, front 20 spokes radial (paired)

Thanks.

· wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
esenkay said:
In general, which would be better? Racing over 100 miles, lots of climbing/descending.

Wheelset 1: rear 16 spokes(paired) 1X on drive and non-drive side, front 16 spokes 1X (paired)

Wheelset 2: rear 24 spokes(paired) 2X on drive and non-drive side, front 20 spokes radial (paired)

Thanks.

Need more input. Rider info. Rim and hub info. Spoke gauge info.

-Eric

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ergott said:
Need more input. Rider info. Rim and hub info. Spoke gauge info.

-Eric
Wheelset 1 (has approx. 3000 miles on it) is this:

Gipiemme Grecal Parade
Rim :
Welded high profile 40.5/28 mm. // Alluminium 6082T6 black anodized

Spoke :
Black Inox aero // Front/Rear n.16/16paired ( T2 8x2 ) crossx1

Nipple :
Special autolock L25 - S.I.L.S. nickel-plated brass with washer

Hub :
Forged aluminium on seal ball bearing black finishing – Ergal seal ball bearing

Quick release :
Forged alluminium silver finish //weight 116 g.

Weight :
Set 1830 g. // Front. 840 g. // Rear. 990 g. (± 5% without quick release)

You can see it here: https://bikyle.com/images/GpmGrecalWh.jpg

Wheelset 2 is this:

Bontrager Race Lite (has approx. 500 miles on it)

I can't do the custom build thing right now unfortunately, so these are my choices. I would even use a combination of the two, I really don't care how it would look.

I weigh 165 lbs all geared up.

· wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
The Gipemme (sp) "look" more aero, but I have no way of confirming that. Either way I don't think either will be significanly faster than the other. I would suspect that the Race Lite wheels are stiffer due to the increased spoke count. There are other factors like spoke gauge that could lead to the contrary.

Ultimately, I think the wheels will be pretty comparable in performance on paper. If you "feel" faster on one particular set, then by all means choose it. You won't lose any race with a wrong choice unless one of the wheels fall apart.

-Eric

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ergott said:
The Gipemme (sp) "look" more aero, but I have no way of confirming that. Either way I don't think either will be significanly faster than the other. I would suspect that the Race Lite wheels are stiffer due to the increased spoke count. There are other factors like spoke gauge that could lead to the contrary.

Ultimately, I think the wheels will be pretty comparable in performance on paper. If you "feel" faster on one particular set, then by all means choose it. You won't lose any race with a wrong choice unless one of the wheels fall apart.

-Eric
Thanks for the reply Eric. Would the stiffness of the Race Lites be more beneficial for climbing using the rear wheel being that there are 24 spokes 2x vs 16 spokes 1x? I was thinking of using the Gipiemme front and the Race Lite rear(kinda best of both worlds) or am I just splitting hairs?

Thanks again.

· wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
esenkay said:
Thanks for the reply Eric. Would the stiffness of the Race Lites be more beneficial for climbing using the rear wheel being that there are 24 spokes 2x vs 16 spokes 1x? I was thinking of using the Gipiemme front and the Race Lite rear(kinda best of both worlds) or am I just splitting hairs?

Thanks again.
I would think that the Bontrager is stiffer, but I have no real data to back that up, just an educated hunch. Stapping in the Gipemme front might make a difference, but it would probably be too small to notice. Go with your gut instinct because if you "feel" faster, you will will be. There is a lot to be said about the placebo effect and it cannot be completely ignored.

-Eric

· Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ergott said:
I would think that the Bontrager is stiffer, but I have no real data to back that up, just an educated hunch. Stapping in the Gipemme front might make a difference, but it would probably be too small to notice. Go with your gut instinct because if you "feel" faster, you will will be. There is a lot to be said about the placebo effect and it cannot be completely ignored.

-Eric
I have 3 weeks before the race, so I think I'll try out the various wheelsets and combinations and see what "feels" best.

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.