Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
morkm said:
Headed to Belgium to do a tour and ride the roads of Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. Thinking of getting a Whipperman Conex link for my 9-speed drivetrain so I can remove chain and clean well each night. I know if I end up with several days fo mud the shifting will go to hell. I've read the reviews of the Whipperman CHAIN, but I'm most concerned about the Conex Link (think that's what it's called) that I would be adding to my Ultegra 9-speed chain. Anyone with any major problems of gripes with adding the link?

Thanks.
Nope-quick & easy, shiftings good-quite cheap considering, and no more worrying about 'replacement links'/'special pins'/etc. to rejoin your chain.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Headed to Belgium to do a tour and ride the roads of Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix. Thinking of getting a Whipperman Conex link for my 9-speed drivetrain so I can remove chain and clean well each night. I know if I end up with several days fo mud the shifting will go to hell. I've read the reviews of the Whipperman CHAIN, but I'm most concerned about the Conex Link (think that's what it's called) that I would be adding to my Ultegra 9-speed chain. Anyone with any major problems of gripes with adding the link?

Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
morkm said:

Thanks.
It works on a Shimano chain, so does a SRAM link. But still, test it before the first day of the tour.

You want to clean the chain every night? Dude, that's chonic! Enjoy the tour :)

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
No need to remove the chain

There is absolutely no need to remove the chain for cleaning. Pro mechanics just use soapy water and a brush, then re-lube. Assuming we're talking road riding, use the following technique for successful ProLink or homebrew lube (1 part motor oil to 3-4 parts odorless mineral spirits) application and use:

1 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
2 - drip on lube while pedaling (forward is better) so that the chain just starts to drip lube. Aim the lube between the side plates and between the bushings and the side plates.
3 - run through all the gears several times, front and back.
4 - wipe the chain, cogs, pulleys, and chainrings clean with a rag.
5 - repeat steps 2-4 if the chain was really dirty
If you do this every 300 miles or so (or when you get caught in the rain), you will not get any significant gunky buildup, and you won't have to clean the chain.

No lube is "perfect." A brite shiny chain that is clean to the touch but is well lubed and gives long mileage is still not possible. IMO, ProLink is the best compromise.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
I'm a ProLink/homebrew fan also, but after the types of gunky rides that I think the OP is anticipating, removing the chain and shaking in mineral spirits is easier than 2-3 rounds of steps 2-4. If the ride is just wet, yeah leave the chain on and just relube.

Connex (and SRAM) links work great on Shimano chains - I use 'em both.

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
morkm said:

Thanks.
Hello morkm,

I had about the same question and found out it depends on which connex link you are using. I've tried using a 9 spd connex link(connex 900) on a 9 spd shimano chain (HG 73) but the combination seems kind of loose; i'm quite worried qbout the chain becoming undone since the connex link is wider than the shimano chain.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=50755&highlight=brblue
Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Try the Campy 10 speed connex link (box marked 6.2mm) for the 9 speed HG 93 chain you will find the fit is just as if you joined it with the shimano pin. Like Brblue I think the 900 link is is wide on the inside. Be sure to intall the right direction, with the link on the bottom run, looking at the drive side the "slot" on the link facing you points tward the rearD. Have a great tour! -- Bill

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've used both

On the 9 speed Shimano chain I prefer the SRAM link. Nice fit, and other than I always forget to squeeze the link to separate it it works great. The Connex link works on the 9 speed, but was not as good a fit IMO.

I use the Connex 10 speed link on my 10 speed Campy chains. Works great.

I am also a homebrew user, but like to take the chain off to dip it about once a month. Less messy IMO than dripping the stuff on, but I do that too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts