Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
BIGchainRING
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was riding the velodrome at San Francisco's Polo Fields and I heard a noise coming from my wheels.
I was going about 20 mph into a 10 mph headwind and it seems that my wheels were whistling.
My question is, do bladed spokes whistle? I haven't noticed this with other round spoke wheelsets, and I also have noticed a whistling sound sometimes going downhill into a headwind.
Also, if i hear a loud pop, does that mean that my spokes broke the sound barrier.
Without a picture, it didn't really happen.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
What were they whistling? Anything we would know? Maybe it was "San Franciscan Nights" by Eric Burdon and the Animals or Queen's "Bicycle Race"?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Spokes do make sounds when under load and moving. But it is generally out of the hearing range of humans. Dogs, however, are said to hear the spokes, and may be the reason dogs chase - and some attack - bicycles.

Did your wheel whistle? Could well be.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
In CFD, we call it Turbulent Flow. You need to calculate that Reynold's number.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Trying not to thread hijack, but whenever my tires are properly inflated (instead of slightly under inflated) for my weight, the wheels sound like they are making whooshing noises the entire time. I love it. Makes me think I'm going faster than I really am.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts