Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
naranjito
Joined
·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good white bar tape that can be cleaned fairly well and doesn't go grey after a few rides? I don´t want anyone to open a debate about whether white is only for pros, poseurs or freds because it gets dirty too quickly. Nor do I want anyone to recommend using black instead because 'it goes with everything'. I´d just like to know if anyone uses (or has used) white bar tape and has found a make that can be cleaned and will maintain it's 'whiteness' for longer than other brands... Similarly, it would be good to know about any brands that should be avoided because they seem to get dirty just by looking at them! Any good cleaning methods for white tape?

thanks, foz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,674 Posts
White bar tape will always show the dirt. Deda, 3T or Cinelli cork is fine.

However, there is a simple way to keep it clean. Use dishwashing liquid, hot water and a stiff brush.

Do it last after you've cleaned the rest of the bike.

Put a little in your palm and rub onto the bars then scrub using hot water. Rinse off with plenty of clean water and then ride.

Or if you're truly worthy of white tape - give bike to team mechanic and collect 30 minutes later with magically clean tape!
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
I'm using Benotto wrapped over some other, inexpensive brand. It's vinyl, so it doesn't get dirty. Not for everyone, but if you are set on white, you want it to look nice forever and you can deal with the retro look. It's the ticket.

And it's cheap. You can find it on eBay or ICYCLESUSA.COM.

Here's a pic -
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Buy a big bottle of 'Simple Green" spray cleaner!

It does a tolerable job of keeping my yellow Cinelli gel tape (great stuff if you like a little spring around your bars) clean - spray on, wipe enthusiastically with paper "shop towel".

And do it outside the garage, the stuff stinks!

Now, to find some decent orange tape to match my new ride...

D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,950 Posts
use cheaper stuff; replace more often

foz said:
Can anyone recommend a good white bar tape that can be cleaned fairly well and doesn't go grey after a few rides? I don´t want anyone to open a debate about whether white is only for pros, poseurs or freds because it gets dirty too quickly. Nor do I want anyone to recommend using black instead because 'it goes with everything'. I´d just like to know if anyone uses (or has used) white bar tape and has found a make that can be cleaned and will maintain it's 'whiteness' for longer than other brands... Similarly, it would be good to know about any brands that should be avoided because they seem to get dirty just by looking at them! Any good cleaning methods for white tape?

thanks, foz
I use white cork tape on one bike. I buy the white Performance cork tape when it's on-sale for about $6 or so. It nearly as nice as the Cinelli tape and much cheaper. I clean with 409 or Fantasic or similar. When its looks crappy I just replace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
terry b said:
I'm using Benotto wrapped over some other, inexpensive brand. It's vinyl, so it doesn't get dirty. Not for everyone, but if you are set on white, you want it to look nice forever and you can deal with the retro look. It's the ticket.

I've never used vinyl bar tape. Sounds slippery. How is the grip compared to cork, etc?
Thanks
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
A smooth surface will catch less dirt and be easier to clean than the rough surface of most foam, gel, or cork tapes. I've not ridden it, but saw some Stella Azzura tape that looked like it would do the job. Can't say for sure if they make it in solid white, though.

I've got an '89 Cannondale that's in the same black and white color scheme as the sweet Parlee shown above. It's had most every color tape at one time or another, but white is the only thing that looks 'right.'
 

·
Squirrel Hunter
Joined
·
3,806 Posts
Mr. Clean

foz said:
Any good cleaning methods for white tape?
Keep it clean in the first place. Wash your hands before riding. Keep your bike clean. Maintain your bike to avoid on the road repairs. Carry one of those KFC wet towlettes to clean your hands if you get dirty on the road. Transport your bike inside your vehicle. If you put it on a rack for an extended trip cover the white bar tape to keep it clean.

On my fixed gear I use Cinelli tape because I like the feel of it. I ride without gloves and plan on replacing it at the beginning of the season after the spring showers are over and then late summer after the sweaty days are done.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
bc165 said:
I've never used vinyl bar tape. Sounds slippery. How is the grip compared to cork, etc?
Thanks
It is more slippery, but I don't consider that a detriment. Of course, I grew up taping the bars on my 10-speed with electrical tape. :D

I wouldn't be inclined to use it without some cheaper tape underneath. I like a bit of padding. But, it's white, it stays white, you don't have to re-wrap frequently and the slipperyness doesn't bother me.

And I like the way it looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
try fizik

Fizik bar tape is a more synthetic type of tape. MUCH easier to keep clean because dirt and grime don't absorb into the tape as much.
 

·
naranjito
Joined
·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for the replies! i´ll check out the fizik tape, might be the best thing (i just hope it's not too slippery though). TerryB, I´d actually thought about the benotto thing, and i actually have a roll of white benotto at home somewhere - i´ve been saving it for years. I think it´s still available comercially though (might not be benotto, but another brand making something identical). I´m not too keen on the slippery feel though. I think i might go with a normal cork tape, see how easy or not it is to keep clean, and if that doesn't work then try something more like the fizik and if all else fails then i´ll try the benotto-over-cheap cork method!

foz
 

·
Cycling
Joined
·
288 Posts
try the easton bar tape which is aparently cleanable, i havent changed my white taoe for 7 months and its still not that dirty
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top