Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How loud are the White Inds. H2 hubs ... My Mavics are silent. Given the choice of Velocity Arrowhead rim and Niobium rims (IRD or Kinlin)...what would you choose. There are no reviews in the review section to get any info. The Velocity Arrowhead and OC have been around for a while...the Nio seem rather new to the 'scene'. I need a reliable, stiff and responsive/ comfortable setup for a 155 pounder.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
AlanS said:
How loud are the White Inds. H2 hubs ... My Mavics are silent. Given the choice of Velocity Arrowhead rim and Niobium rims (IRD or Kinlin)...what would you choose. There are no reviews in the review section to get any info. The Velocity Arrowhead and OC have been around for a while...the Nio seem rather new to the 'scene'. I need a reliable, stiff and responsive/ comfortable setup for a 155 pounder.
Get the Noibium rims. Light and stronger and pefect for your weight.

· Vespajg
74 Posts
WI H2s aren't silent, but don't seem any louder (to me anyway) than my powertap or other rear wheels. I was riding behind someone yesterday with Ksyrium SLs and his hub sounded just as loud as mine. I personally have never had a silent hub.

I have them laced to Niobium 30s, built by Ron Ruff at White Mountain Wheels. Great build, good feedback, timely service and a pleasurable experience all the way around.

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vespajg said:
WI H2s aren't silent, but don't seem any louder (to me anyway) than my powertap or other rear wheels. I was riding behind someone yesterday with Ksyrium SLs and his hub sounded just as loud as mine. I personally have never had a silent hub.

I have them laced to Niobium 30s, built by Ron Ruff at White Mountain Wheels. Great build, good feedback, timely service and a pleasurable experience all the way around.
Yeah...I checked with Ron...nice build, price, specs..>BUT: There is currently a 7-8 week wait for a wheelset...that puts me out of some events and a vacation with my bike!

· Registered
8,000 Posts
AlanS said:
Yeah...I checked with Ron...nice build, price, specs..>BUT: There is currently a 7-8 week wait for a wheelset...that puts me out of some events and a vacation with my bike!
Wow, 7-8 weeks?? Because of the hubs? Rims?

Try another builder like Liergo or Ergott who post here as well. Maybe consider DT Swiss 240 hubs if you can't wait. Jusdt as goo and in some opinions better. But some will say WI is better. I say a toss up as each has it's own merrits.

· Registered
8,000 Posts
rruff said:
It's because of other orders... just trying to be accurate.
The good for you!!! :D That's great! I heard ntohing but good things.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Psychler said:
I guess business is good for him...and in this economy, I envy him. A.
Don't envy too much until you know how much I'm making... I survive on less than what most people would think acceptable... about 1/4th what I made in 1990 (or about 1/8th after adjusting for inflation). I am competing with the 3rd world you know...

EDIT: Sorta sounds like I'm whining, but that isn't how I feel. I think it is great to have a craft that I can make a little money at... sure beats a real job!

· Registered
1,020 Posts
I got a set of WI/Cx-ray/Nio27 wheels from Ron. Great wheels! I love them. I do not think that the WI's are that loud. Certainly not as loud as a Chris King hub. They seem loud i nthe stand, but they are pretty quiet on the road to me.

· Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered that exact same set up from Ron Ruff this week (WI H2 black/Cx-ray spokes black/ gold alloy nipples/Nio27 wheels/Velo plugs) and now you guys have got my frothing just waiting the next 7-8 weeks. Ron was super nice and lightning fast in answering my queries. I'll be replacing some Ksyrium SSC wheels.

· Registered
929 Posts
I get my WI H2/CX-ray/Nio30 wheels today. The 7 week turn around time will be worth the weight. And Ron always takes the time to spec out the components and provide you with options on cost and parts.

I too am replacing Ksyrium SLs. Up on Road Bike classifieds they will go.

· Registered
1,020 Posts
gearnut54 said:
I just ordered that exact same set up from Ron Ruff this week (WI H2 black/Cx-ray spokes black/ gold alloy nipples/Nio27 wheels/Velo plugs) and now you guys have got my frothing just waiting the next 7-8 weeks. Ron was super nice and lightning fast in answering my queries. I'll be replacing some Ksyrium SSC wheels.
You'll love them. I have about 800 miles on mine so far and they have been great. They are true as the day I got them. Light, stiff, and somewhat aero. I think I'm going to get a second set of wheels similar to this for my next bike.

· Registered
2 Posts
Decals or not?

Did your Nio27s come sans decals? I've become so accustomed to the extremely decaled look of my Ksyrium SSCs that I will need to reset my mindset when it comes to my wheels. I'll be mounting them on an 01 Litespeed Tuscany, full DA 10spd with a compact crank.

· Registered
289 Posts
AlanS said:
I'm 150 lbs (ok - 154 atm) and have a set of ron ruff wheels. I've been riding them for 6 months now and love them. They are still perfectly true except where I went over a really bad pothole and had a nasty pinch flat that also took my rear out of true by a millimeter. I have not checked if it's still round as when I got it, but it's not a big deal - the wheel has been very durable, true and light otherwise.

The wheels were changed at the exact same time that I got the Carl Strong frame, so it's really hard to isolate stiffness, responsiveness to the frame versus the wheels. Can't comment on that...

I don't think the H2 is loud - I have CK's on my mountain bike and if you want noise, go with those. Otherwise, these are pretty average in noise generation.

I documented in pretty good detail the wheel build. Take a look here if you care to. I think there might be more detail to the actual build process than at Ron's site, but I haven't looked over there in a while.

http://strong.weswu.com/part-16-wheels/
http://strong.weswu.com/part-17-wheel-build/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.