Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
IndyFab girl
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these are new hubs for 2006, so the chances of finding them for less than $370/pair (current price on White Ind's website) are slim. I've contacted a couple of wheelbuilders and they can build them up for me for about the same price or less than if I buy the parts individually and build them up myself.

However, if I can get a good deal on the hubs, I'd really like to build the wheels myself, have already built a couple of sets which have held up really well. But I only want to do it if it makes sense economically. I have to factor in the time I'll be spending on them.

Thanks for your input.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
superspokes.com has them for $289 a pair. I am planning on buying a pair for my self and lacing them to a carbon rim. But I can't decide on a rim. I am looking at a pair on new Nimble flys or a pair of used Zipps or other brand that i can get off of ebay for about the same price. Good luck with you wheels and post some pictures when your done.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
jeremyb said:
any word on the weight of these hubs? the website doesnt say....

jb
Here you go, courtesy of Ligero. Beauty hubs, eh? He's buildin' me a set o' wheels w/ the H1's anodized black......ooooeeeerrrrrrr. 302g for a durable set of hubs is mighty tasty.

·
IndyFab girl
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those hubs are sure good-looking, very classy.

For my build (with the H1s), what would you recommend among these choices, keeping in mind that I want to build a light set of wheels, but not at the cost of durability. I ride in all weather and all road conditions (NYC, gotta love them potholes):

1) Alex R400 rims vs Velocity Aeroheads vs DT Swiss RR. Among these, I think the Alex are the lightest, but I have no experience with them, have never seen any.

2) DT Revolution (or Competition) vs Sapim spokes. I've worked with DT Competitions, looking to try something lighter, but don't want to run into spokes breaking on me willy-nilly. And I think Sapims are more expensive, but don't know by how much.

I'm 110lbs, so not a heavyweight.

Anyway, thanks for the great help so far.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
jp_nyc said:
Those hubs are sure good-looking, very classy.

For my build (with the H1s), what would you recommend among these choices, keeping in mind that I want to build a light set of wheels, but not at the cost of durability. I ride in all weather and all road conditions (NYC, gotta love them potholes):
Uhm, I'm an optics guy, so take my advise w/ a grain of salt....ok, maybe a block of salt.

jp_nyc said:
1) Alex R400 rims vs Velocity Aeroheads vs DT Swiss RR. Among these, I think the Alex are the lightest, but I have no experience with them, have never seen any.
Ligero has been building with and speaks highly of Alex R3.1 and R3.2 Crostinis. The R3.1 is 370g. the R3.2 is around 410, I think. The difference between the two is the R3.2 has offset spoke holes to improve tension distribution in the built wheel. They're also a muy nice looking wheel. The R3.1/R3.2 rims have rim depth of 19.3mm and the DT R1.1's have a rim depth of 21.2mm. The DR rims weigh in at 419g, according to Weight Weenies.

jp_nyc said:
2) DT Revolution (or Competition) vs Sapim spokes. I've worked with DT Competitions, looking to try something lighter, but don't want to run into spokes breaking on me willy-nilly. And I think Sapims are more expensive, but don't know by how much.
PM Ergott or Ligero and see what they say. I know Ligero said he likes building w/ Sapim CX-Rays as opposed to DT Aerolites, but I don't know why.

jp_nyc said:
I'm 110lbs, so not a heavyweight.

Anyway, thanks for the great help so far.
The wheels Ligero's building for me are Crostini R3.1 F (24h) and R3.2 R(28h), Sapim CX-Rays (2x, F; 2x NDS R, 3x DS R), and the White H1 hubs in their commemorative Black Hole color scheme. I weigh in at 175lbs. I'm still begging him (NOTE TO LIGERO: I'm begging.) to tell me why I can't have R3.1's front and rear. Check out Juanmoretime's wheels. He weighs somewhere in the ballpark of 150ish pounds, I think. Since your uber light, I'm sure you could end up w/ a wheelset that is durable and muy light.

·
IndyFab girl
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spoke with Eric (ergott), but we didn't discuss Alex rims, I guess I just forgot. Silly. I'm not even sure he has them right now, he mentioned something about still working out a deal with them.

So far, this is what I'm thinking:

White Ind H1 hubs, 28 rear 3x (maybe 2x?), 24 front radial
Alex R3.1 or Velocity Aerohead rims
DT Revolution spokes
DT, Salsa ti, or Velocity qr skewers

I could use veloplugs with the Aeroheads, which is pretty cool. Not sure if they'd fit on the Alex rims.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
jp_nyc said:
I just spoke with Eric (ergott), but we didn't discuss Alex rims, I guess I just forgot. Silly. I'm not even sure he has them right now, he mentioned something about still working out a deal with them.

So far, this is what I'm thinking:

White Ind H1 hubs, 28 rear 3x (maybe 2x?), 24 front radial
Alex R3.1 or Velocity Aerohead rims
DT Revolution spokes
DT, Salsa ti, or Velocity qr skewers

I could use veloplugs with the Aeroheads, which is pretty cool. Not sure if they'd fit on the Alex rims.
You ought to look at the QR's from M2 Racer. Claimed wt. is 38g. Mine weighed in at 37g, and I'd say they function as well as Shimano QR's I've used in the past.

·
Registered
838 Posts
alienator said:
Uhm, I'm an optics guy, so take my advise w/ a grain of salt....ok, maybe a block of salt.

Ligero has been building with and speaks highly of Alex R3.1 and R3.2 Crostinis. The R3.1 is 370g. the R3.2 is around 410, I think. The difference between the two is the R3.2 has offset spoke holes to improve tension distribution in the built wheel. They're also a muy nice looking wheel. The R3.1/R3.2 rims have rim depth of 19.3mm and the DT R1.1's have a rim depth of 21.2mm. The DR rims weigh in at 419g, according to Weight Weenies.

PM Ergott or Ligero and see what they say. I know Ligero said he likes building w/ Sapim CX-Rays as opposed to DT Aerolites, but I don't know why.

The wheels Ligero's building for me are Crostini R3.1 F (24h) and R3.2 R(28h), Sapim CX-Rays (2x, F; 2x NDS R, 3x DS R), and the White H1 hubs in their commemorative Black Hole color scheme. I weigh in at 175lbs. I'm still begging him (NOTE TO LIGERO: I'm begging.) to tell me why I can't have R3.1's front and rear. Check out Juanmoretime's wheels. He weighs somewhere in the ballpark of 150ish pounds, I think. Since your uber light, I'm sure you could end up w/ a wheelset that is durable and muy light.

I will build them with R3.1's front and rear if you really want them but I think you wil be happier with the R3.2 in the back. I could always build you a 24h R3.2 in the rear, that will only be 10 to 15 grams heavier than using a 28h R3.1.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Ligero said:
I will build them with R3.1's front and rear if you really want them but I think you wil be happier with the R3.2 in the back. I could always build you a 24h R3.2 in the rear, that will only be 10 to 15 grams heavier than using a 28h R3.1.
Nah, I'm just giving you hell because Christmas has passed, and I'm jonesin' over here for something shiny and new....and I want to rid my door of the Bontrager shadow. What you spec'd in the email is groovy.

Now, didn't you guarantee that with your wheels, I'd be able to climb like a meth-addled jaguar and would slice all my best times in half? Didn't you swear your wheels would allow this 41 y.o. to replace Basso at CSC?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts