Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went with White Industries H2 hubs on my new wheels. On my first couple of rides,I thought the freewheel sounded loud and cool. But now it sounds a little softer. I guess it went from a 8 or 7 to a 4. What's going on? I like it sounding loud. Is there something I can do to turn up the volume?

thanks

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Making loud

El Caballito said:
I recently went with White Industries H2 hubs on my new wheels. On my first couple of rides,I thought the freewheel sounded loud and cool. But now it sounds a little softer. I guess it went from a 8 or 7 to a 4. What's going on? I like it sounding loud. Is there something I can do to turn up the volume?
To make your freehub, or any freehub, as loud as it possibly can be, you need to take it apart, clean out all the lube, and put a very light lubricant on the pawls and ratchet surface. Find a very thin oil. Of course, this will reduce the service life of the unit, but that's not what you asked about.

· Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kerry Irons said:
To make your freehub, or any freehub, as loud as it possibly can be, you need to take it apart, clean out all the lube, and put a very light lubricant on the pawls and ratchet surface. Find a very thin oil. Of course, this will reduce the service life of the unit, but that's not what you asked about.
Thanks Kerry!
Since it's a new hub, I thought that quiet possibly the lubricant started to spread within the hub resulting in a more quiet ride. Aside from my personal preference of wanting loud, it spins forever.
-el cab

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.