Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody had experience with the White Industries H1 road hub? It has a ti carrier and according to Mike at Odds and Endos is a better choice than an aluminum carrier when you use large loose cogs. Heard a lot of good things about Mike so he seems to be a good source but just wondered if anybody out there has used these hubs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
White Ind Hubs are GTG!

I have a pair of the LTA hubs on a set of wheels built by Mike at Odds&Endos. So far, after 4K miles, they have been problem-free. IMHO they're good, solid hubs and my experience with Mike was excellent. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Well, I have a set, but I have put virtually no miles on 'em. You should PM Ligero or maybe Ergott to see what they think.

FWIW the H1 hubs are lighter than the LTA's. They are gorgeous pieces of work. If noise from the pawls is a concern to you, they're not that loud. The rear H1 is about as loud as my Bontrager Race X Lite (DT 240s internals) was but deeper in tone.

The H1's are cheaper than DT 240s hubs. FWIW, White Industries' reputation is pretty stellar.

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
I can't speak to the H1, but I do have a set that Dave Thomas built about 5 or 6 years ago:
Velocity Fusion
Sapim CX-Ray
W.I. LTA front
W.I. Racer-X (mtb hub) rear (I'm a clyde)

The wheels have been solid from day one, never a problem.
The hubs are very smooth, pretty quiet, and beautiful.
W.I. is a good company; the H1 look great to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
W.I. Builds at a good price.

I found the White Industries H1 hubs in some builds that I've heard are pretty good from Superspokes. I think they have them at around $500 for a set built into Aerohead rims with Sapim spokes. Should be flawless if they still have them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and took the dive and ordered a set of wheels from Mike at Odds and Endos. White I. H1's with DT Swiss rims. Will update when I get a couple hundred miles in on them to let folks know how they are.. .

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
prometheus said:
Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and took the dive and ordered a set of wheels from Mike at Odds and Endos. White I. H1's with DT Swiss rims. Will update when I get a couple hundred miles in on them to let folks know how they are.. .
You'll dig the hubs. The rear makes a very nice sound, and the hubs work as well as they look.

·
glutton for punishment
684 Posts
prometheus said:
Be advised that people (myself included) are having problems with eyelets pulling out on the DT Swiss RR 1.1's.

here's what a DT rep had to say on another msg board:

quote:
Hello Weight Weenies,

Yes, it's a bummer when things aren't the way that they're supposed to be Please be aware that DT Swiss is not trying to pull the wool over anybodies eyes or screw anybody. We have seen some creacked eyelet issues on the RR1.1. Less in the US than in Europe. (Is the obesity epidemic now hitting the Euros!?) We have attributed this to many things but feel it is mostly due to drive side tension and rider weight and style...

... The RR1.1 was designed as a lightweight racing rim as bikemesenger pointed out. To clarify the issue DT Swiss will continue to manufacture the 28 hole RR1.1 rim as a single eyelet race rim close to the claimed 415g weight (I just weighed a rim on two extremely accurate scales at 419g). The 32 hole RR1.1 will only be manufactured as a double eyeleted rim and will weigh it at about 472g (also just weighed). The RR1450 will get a 28 hole double eyeleted rim on the rear which will increase the weight slightly about 35g. ...

Best regards,
Kenny Roberts
DT Swiss Sales & Marketing Manage

·
Registered
47 Posts
Alternate Rims Options -

Check out Velocity Aeroheads. About the same weight as the DT rim and not much trouble here, or on the forums with them, at all. They don't use eyelets on the rims, but strengthen the area around the holes by using a thicker alloy there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.