Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy a used set 05-06 Record (silver hubs) or a new set of White Industries. Taking into consideration both were laced to the same rim with identical type spokes? I have never ridden the WI's. How do they compare as far as barring smoothness?

Used Record set are going for like 300-400 range. The new WI's will be around $700. Although I don't want price to be a deciding factor for your choice. Any opinions on the White Industries would be great.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i have the h2 front on the current black record hub... i think they are evenly matched...

the CURRENT record IMHO in the rear is better since its lighter cf h2, and loose ball.... 233g vs 270g?

now old record? its a wash imho. Also don't forget H2 can be had in a range of spoke counts and is radial safe. the front hub is lighter @ 95g.... also, these are beautiful to behold.

campy comes w/ skewers which are really nice.... WI don't have any.

if the used set is low mileage, still smooth and u are good at maint on loose ball - i would get the old ones... they are going up in value. WI aren't. depends on how much u love campy at the end of the day.

they are both as smooth as each other. WI of course uses sealed cart bearings. but really nice ones swiss made IIRC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
white h2 hubs

Your price quote for White Industries hubs seems very high. I just purchased polished White Industries H2 hubs, the rear to accept a Campy cassette, and the cost was $265 for the rear and $130 for the front, and I purchased them from a dealer not an Internet discounter. I think they are a great buy among higher end hubs.

I chose to go with the WI hubs over used Campy because the latter were about the same price and the selection available at the time (I had to have silver ones) was not great. If I could have found a set of NOS Campy Record 10-speed hubs at a reasonable price, that would have been my first choice.

That said, I am very, very satisfied with the WI hubs. The wheels built up well, the hubs have a fantastic finish, and they seem to roll as well as the Campy ones I own. I have a cyclocross project bike in need of a wheelset and, based on my experience so far, WI will likely be my choice over black 10-speed Campy hubs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
wankski said:
i have the h2 front on the current black record hub... i think they are evenly matched...

the CURRENT record IMHO in the rear is better since its lighter cf h2, and loose ball.... 233g vs 270g?

now old record? its a wash imho. Also don't forget H2 can be had in a range of spoke counts and is radial safe. the front hub is lighter @ 95g.... also, these are beautiful to behold.

campy comes w/ skewers which are really nice.... WI don't have any.

if the used set is low mileage, still smooth and u are good at maint on loose ball - i would get the old ones... they are going up in value. WI aren't. depends on how much u love campy at the end of the day.

they are both as smooth as each other. WI of course uses sealed cart bearings. but really nice ones swiss made IIRC.
I am pretty sure, unfortunatly, that WI uses enduro bearings for all of their hubs. I have used there hubs quite often and really like them. They are very smooth and have some of the lowest friction freehubs out there. I have had some customers have to replace their bearing since they went bad, but it is easy to throw phil's in and not have to worry about bearings for a long time.

Steve

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
wankski said:
aah crap, i may have confused that with HOPE which i also use in wheelbuilds... damn brain.

hmmm phil wood sounds good if mine ever go bad... in any case... smoooth... :thumbsup:
As long as you don't mind using conversion cassettes as PW doesn't have a campy freehub body option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts