Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some friends and I are planning a weekend trip in mid-September to do a couple of rides in the Whites. We're camping at Dry River Campground in Crawford Notch and doing a clockwise Kanc loop and a counter clockwise Mt. Washington loop. Anyone ever done these rides before... tips... suggestions... difficulty... pictures... etc?

Cheers

· Registered
606 Posts
yessl said:
It's a beautiful area, and a favorite of many us New Englanders. The climbs (especially Kanc itself) are long and challenging - the real thing!
What a gorgeous area- IF there's no haze! I hiked the 48 four-thousand footers there, and wasn't cycling at the time, but can tell you that you're in for a treat. You're doing well by not staying at the AMC lodge- very friendly, knowledgeable folk, but $$$.

· Blah, Blah, Blah
618 Posts
Route 2 kind of sucks coming out of Gorham. Fast traffic and small shoulders. Otherwise, they are both really good loops.
If I could recommend another loop it would have to be heading out 112 west from Woodstock towards Lost River, follow 118 over Gonzo Pass, down to route 25 and route 25 back to Plymouth, then Route 3 Back to Woodstock or Route 175 back to Lincoln.

I suggest hitting downtown North Conway (not the outlets, but actually downtown). Decent food at the Mexican place at the intersection of 302 and 16 (neat Storyland). I forget the name of the place, but we liked it.

· Registered
394 Posts
Here's a link to a 5-notch century ride a local group did:

http://bagelry.bikers.sr.unh.edu/Me...e-21-2008-saturday-epic-ride-white-mountain-5

This is an extremely difficult route and not for the faint of heart. Well beyond my current abilities, that's for sure. Post-ride feedback from the group noted that the Kanc was one of the most difficult climbs, which wasn't what they were expecting.

Enjoy your ride - the scenery up there is amazing. Take lots of photos! :)

Scott

· Registered
203 Posts
If you're looking for a serious climbing challenge, you can always head over Hurricane Mountain Road in North Conway. That will take you over to Maine; head over Evans Notch, pick up Rt. 2, head west back into New Hampshire, and climb over Pinkham Notch (by Mt. Washington) and back into North Conway. I can't remember off-hand exactly where Evans Notch is, but it's not "way out of your way" or anything.

Note: Hurricane Mountain Road is insanely steep. Bring really low gears and really good brakes, because the descent is scary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.