Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Technically, the White Rim is a 4WD road so this is getting posted on RBR. Myself and a friend joined another group of about 10 riders to complete the White Rim in 2 days. A lot of people do this ride in 3 days and a few are brave enough to complete it in one day. The route that we took was 101 miles. Day one was 73+ miles and day two was 27+. There were three support vehicles following us for the two days on the road. The last 12 miles were uphill on a rutted dirt road into a headwind. There is no photographic record of these miles because I just wanted them to be over. Next time, I'm shuttling this section.

My friend and I also stopped in Fruita, Colorado along the way so I'm throwing in those shots as well. As a disclaimer, I had something on the lens of my camera for the entire trip.

Conditions leaving Denver and through the mountains weren't great.

We survived the mountain passes and arrived west of the divide. These are the bookcliffs near Palisade, CO.

The descent into Horsethief Loop in Fruita

Along Rustler's Loop in Fruita

Shortly after this picture my derailleur hanger broke, my RD wrapped into my back wheel and a trashed a spoke. The rest of this day was spent trying to get it fixed before hitting the White Rim.

We made it to camp in Moab and were lucky to have a nice sunset.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Day Two

Day two was the start of the White Rim. I will let these speak for themselves.

Don't look down

Candlestick rock

a big hole in the ground

WTF? Where is the trail?

crappy pic of the Murphy Hogback - one of the steepest things I've ever ridden. This pic does it no justice.

View from the top of the hogback

Holeman Slot Canyon

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Day Three

Sunrise at camp along the Green River at Potato Bottom

view back the way we came and where we camped

the climb back out - short and steep

The end

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have heard great things- how cold was it at night? Looks like the day time temps were good? MTT :thumbsup:

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
We drove that route but didn't have the guts to bike it :). Pretty dang amazing!

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MTT said:
I have heard great things- how cold was it at night? Looks like the day time temps were good? MTT :thumbsup:
the first night was almost below freezing. We slept in the vehicle. Night two was much more mild - upper 30's or even 40's I'm guessing. Daytime temps were mid-60s, perfect riding temps.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I just love that place. The more picture I see of it the better. I drove from Moab out Potash Rd. as far a Musselman Arch and back up Schaffer. One day I'll be back to ride the whole thing. I think I'll take more that 2 days.

·
Diphthong
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know how I would have done it differently. You need to take a look at a map and decide how far you want to ride and pick your campsites accordingly. The campsites have to be reserved months ahead of time. Potato Bottom is the only campsite with trees. The rest are out on the rim and exposed.

·
Mess O'Potamist
2,224 Posts
Nice report.
One of these days I'll hit the white rim but for now I'm headed to Fruita and Grand Junction next week.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
I did an MTB trip out of Aspen, and one night one of the guides told the story of how he decided to do the entire White Rim trail in one day, on his birthday. I can't remember all the details, but it was pretty eventful trip. He ran out of water, and finally had to stop riding. He found a good place to stop, then laid his bike down in the road. He dragged his foot to draw arrows from his bike to where he was going to be, left some gear as breadcrumbs, then he laid himself down and promptly lost consciousness. It wasn't too long before someone in a jeep came by, stopped because of the bike in the road, and eventually saw the arrows he drew. They followed the gear trail and found him, passed out behind a rock, and got him to the hospital. Would he do it again? Of course.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Beautiful country there.

One fall I decided to ride slickrock and Porcupine rim in a day after a spring and summer of road riding. I forgot how much more difficult mtb distances are compared to road and ended up running out of drinkable water about half way down porcupine and ended up with heat exhaustion. As the water ran low it also got hot and became uncomfortable to drink. When I made it to the spring by the Colorado River I ended up throwing up the water. Good times.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Awesome. I really, really want to do that ride in the next year or two. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like it was great.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That`s killer- one o these days I`ve got to get myself to the four corners area, bike or no bike. The way I understand it, part of the ride was that gnarly ST or No Track and part was road, and your support team was able to get by the nasties and pretty much follow your route by road. Do I have it right?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Wow. Beautiful shots. We camped our way through the 4-corners region a few years back, and Arches was my favorite place. Didn't have my bike but did a lot of hiking there.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
rodar y rodar said:
That`s killer- one o these days I`ve got to get myself to the four corners area, bike or no bike. The way I understand it, part of the ride was that gnarly ST or No Track and part was road, and your support team was able to get by the nasties and pretty much follow your route by road. Do I have it right?
The white rim is all dirt road that could be done in a 2-wheel drive car (in dry weather) as long as it had good ground clearance.
http://www.anthonysloan.com/whiterim1.html

1 - 20 of 21 Posts