Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 'em?
Like 'em?
I'm considering a custom build, and a friend threw out the idea of going white CX-Rays, black hub (Tune or CK R45) with blue nipples on Pacenti SL23, Conti tires. My Jamis is white, blue, carbon/black with a little silver.

View attachment 275959

Do the white spokes start to look nasty with use and dirt? This will be a recreational, all-around wheelset with a little climbing cred. Yes, vanity is a factor.

Wheel and/or bike pic's would be great if you have any.

·
Boyd Cycling owner
377 Posts
I built up a set when they first came out as Sapim USA wanted a wheel set built with them displayed in their booth at Interbike. They were were delicate to build with as the powder coating kept chipping off so they started looking pretty bad fairly quick.

The other things to consider were that it was really hard to turn the spoke wrench because of the white powder coasting over top of the end of the nipple. Getting final adjustment was really hard and they did keep chipping during this process. They were also heavier. I can't remember the exact weight but the wheel was a bit heavier.

I had a teammate use them in a race and somebody moved over into his front wheel and a skewer too out a spoke. Rather than rebuild, we decided to have a little fun with my potato gun.

·
Madcow
123 Posts
The white spokes do look good on some bikes when they are new, but on most bikes they tend to look a little plastic.

They also don't hold up really well over time and we typically recommend people stick with black or silver, or if you want to do white, just do a few mixed in so it isn't over powering.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Noob. Use grime colored spokes. They never need cleaning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.