Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had been considering the mini-mac for a while now, both for its small size and just to be different. Now, I read about this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060228/tc_nm/apple_dc

So now we have a new mini-mac with intel chip. I haven't used a mac since I was probably in 7th grade (30 now). I use my computer mostly for internet, music, and vids (watching not really editing). For work, I use Office, and I would probably need to edit office files at home. I am clueless to the current mac abilities. Can someone fill me in?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I have both a PC and a MAC.

There is really not much to choose between them. My MAC has a better monitor so photos look better but it cost a lot more than my PC.

Not worth worrying about IMHO.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
24601 said:
Well, I had been considering the mini-mac for a while now, both for its small size and just to be different. Now, I read about this:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060228/tc_nm/apple_dc

So now we have a new mini-mac with intel chip. I haven't used a mac since I was probably in 7th grade (30 now). I use my computer mostly for internet, music, and vids (watching not really editing). For work, I use Office, and I would probably need to edit office files at home. I am clueless to the current mac abilities. Can someone fill me in?
Macs rule! Period, end of discussion......seamless use of Office between platforms.....

Buy it and you won't regret it....

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'd wait a few months before buying a Mac right now, if I were you. There's no telling what kind of issues Apple may have with those new Intel chips. I'd give them a few months to work out the bugs before I'd buy one.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
PC's are cheaper

but waaaay more exp[osed to virus, Trojan Horses etc.....

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
There's no reason to not want an Apple.

I'm not a fan of the Mac Mini, however. It seems like a good deal, but it's really not that cheap considering it doesn't come with a monitor. It's also not as upgradeable as some other Macs.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What don't you like about the mini, and assuming you stayed mac, what woudl you get instead.

I like it for the smallness. We have a little house, the current computer takes up almost all of the little hutch we have that has to be office/computer desk/ filing system, etc. This would let me move soem things around and give us some (of course, not a ton) more room.

I once saw some PC that looked like this, size wise. Haven't really seen them since.

On a related note, I surf the net way too much, send lots of emails, etc, and have never had a virus or worm or what not of any kind. My students can sit down at a brand new computer and have it filled with impossible to remove virus in 5 minutes.

·
Genitive Declensioner
12,146 Posts
24601 said:
Do I need special software, or is it built in?
Just need Mac Office or whatever Microsoftie calls the mac version......

·
Registered
173 Posts
I use both a Mac and a Windows box and have done so for many years. I don't harbor any strong religious beliefs about these operating systems but you might find these gross-generalizations helpful:

- "Windows boxes are cheaper": This is less true than it used to be and is largely due to the numerous vendors who build boxes of very different quality and performance. A quality PC (pre-built) is not much cheaper than an equivalent Mac.
- "Macs are easier": Perhaps true. I, for one, happen to find the Mac OS more intuitive and elegant. The Mac is certainly more idiot proof, though Windows is catching up. Macs used to be much more plug and play than Windows (automatically installing necessary drivers, etc.) but becoming less so.
- "Macs can't run my applications": Hardly true anymore. As someone else mentioned, most productivity applications (MS Office, for example) run great on Mac and swap files with PC users seamlessly. Not long ago, you would be hard pressed to find enterprise applications that were Mac compatible. That is also becoming a non-issue. Hell, in a few years you might just run all your applications as a Google utility through your browser of choice (heehee). I have worked in several environments that network Macs, Solaris, and Windows, all running the required productivity and ERP applications.
- "Macs are much less susceptible to viruses": True enough. Why write viruses for 13% of the target. Also, MS has notoriously shoddy security testing.
- "I can't run graphics applications on my PC": Baloney.

For what it's worth, I find that my PCs have a useful life of about 2.5-3 years and my Macs (laptops) have a useful life of about 5-6 years. Find a friend who has a Mac or go to an Apple store and test drive one. Some people just hate using one (Windows) or the other (Mac) operating system.

Based on the tone of your question, I assume you haven't considered running linux or some other unix flavor. You might consider it if you are at all a gear head. It has a great deal of aesthetic and political appeal.

Also, I concur with the suggestion to wait a cycle to make sure Apple has sorted out any problems with introducing the Intel chip. You might, on other hand, get a pre-Intel Mac and save some money. You can always get great deals if you are willing to live 9 months behind the technology curve.

Good luck,

Jaime

·
Banned
7,890 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Good reply...they both have their ins and outs, and it might boil down to which one you like the most. Just like Campy vs. Shimano.

Another possible advantage of the new Intel-based processors (at least in the future with Windows Luna) will be the ability to run a dual boot system with both Windows and Mac OS. That'll be hot. I'm not completely positive on this, but I've read it in a couple of places.
the elegance factor should not be undervalued.. aesthethically pleasing tools, ambients and people make your day.
totally worth spending more on better looking puters, cars, bikes and clothes.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
jgrantv10 said:
Also, I concur with the suggestion to wait a cycle to make sure Apple has sorted out any problems with introducing the Intel chip. You might, on other hand, get a pre-Intel Mac and save some money. You can always get great deals if you are willing to live 9 months behind the technology curve.

Good luck,

Jaime
Good reply...they both have their ins and outs, and it might boil down to which one you like the most. Just like Campy vs. Shimano.

Another possible advantage of the new Intel-based processors (at least in the future with Windows Luna) will be the ability to run a dual boot system with both Windows and Mac OS. That'll be hot. I'm not completely positive on this, but I've read it in a couple of places.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I have no idea what a dual boot system is, but I appreciate the input. It will probably be a bit before I can get anything, but I don't make quick decisions. It takes me forever to spend big money, and this is big money for me.

Funny, I waited so long to make my last purchase that the price of the computer went down almost $500. Walmart changed which model they had from a big monitor to one of the smaller flat ones, but chopped the harddrive size by 1/3. The new model was the same price, but I think a lesser computer. Of course, that monitor would be nice now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:

You can currently run a PC emulator on pretty well any mac. I use apple at home (12" powerbook) and work (20" imac), and wouldn't go back. There is an old imac in my office that has been running windows 98 since maybe '00, with less issues than any pc I had up to that point, as well as mac osx.

From a business perspective, I like macs because I find the programs to be more intuitive, I even run my own network (6 machines, 4 printers, filesharing between them) with little to no network knowledge previous. The network has crashed once in 6 years, because of a hub failing (not an apple product). I've never needed tech support (since switching to mac), and at 100 bucks an hour for anyone decent, that's a really good thing.

At home, I simply use it because I like it, and it's simple. Plug almost anything in, and it just works. I enjoy using computers, but despise trying to fixing them. And, as previously stated, they look fantastic.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I have been reading some more and looking at specs and I discovered one huge issue for me. The min-mac doesn't have a modem, and high speed internet isn't availble here. Well, there is one company that charges outrageuos prices for this wireless service that isn't very reliable or much faster, but that is it. I have even talked to some of the companies and they said they have no plans to expand to our area. So, I can't get online with this Mac.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
24601 said:
Well, I have been reading some more and looking at specs and I discovered one huge issue for me. The min-mac doesn't have a modem, and high speed internet isn't availble here. Well, there is one company that charges outrageuos prices for this wireless service that isn't very reliable or much faster, but that is it. I have even talked to some of the companies and they said they have no plans to expand to our area. So, I can't get online with this Mac.
Apple makes a USB phone modem for $50.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...NDSrA2CWUCawCl8HiHIZ/3.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.0.3

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Go Mac

I changed about 6 months ago, and I'll never go back. It's possible to run Windows and go on the Net safely, but IMHO not without being diligent about your virus/spyware resistant software/hardware. I'm not interested in keeping such close tabs on that stuff, and I think Mac is still a long way from being the hacker bait that Windows systems are.
My IMac runs great, comes with iLife (a very good suite of home creativity software that includes iTunes (free everywhere), iDVD, iMovie and Garage Band (hella fun music recording/multitracking software). You can buy a student version of MS Office for about $125, and you're golden.

To address your other issue of desk space, an iMac will actually take up less space on your desk than a Mac Mini because the whole unit is built in the same casing as the monitor. It's about as big as a flat-panel 17-inch monitor, which you'd have to buy separately for the Mac Mini, running your costs up into iMac territory. So, you'd actually save desk space with the iMac 17" and get a more powerful machine for a little bit more money. That's the whole system below. Make sure to get the Super drive, which burns DVDs.
I really can't say enough good things about the Mac, and I used to be a hardcore PC guy. I'll always have both PC and Mac in the house, but Mac's my main machine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts