Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made out of cut off tire treads.

Unusable wheelchair ramp? Drain that will push the water onto the path? Painful Slip n' Slide? We had a bunch of tires lying around and had nothing better to do with them?

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
I want to know why people let someone cut the threads off of their tires. Those bald tires are no good in the rain.

·
oh lonesome road for you
1,699 Posts
The tires as a combined material are porous allowing water to infiltrate into the ground below and also slowing the speed of water flow, and also probably holding up fine to people walking on it occasionally. I don't understand why you think it would push water onto the path, can you explain?

I think, from the pictures, it seems like a creative use of a material which is probably in abundance. The only problem would be bits of rubber degrading and acting as a water pollutant, but anyone who drives a car or rides a bike can't really cast the first stone on that one, and there wouldn't be a lot of force except UV to degrade the treads.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
m_s said:
The tires as a combined material are porous allowing water to infiltrate into the ground below and also slowing the speed of water flow, and also probably holding up fine to people walking on it occasionally. I don't understand why you think it would push water onto the path, can you explain?

I think, from the pictures, it seems like a creative use of a material which is probably in abundance. The only problem would be bits of rubber degrading and acting as a water pollutant, but anyone who drives a car or rides a bike can't really cast the first stone on that one, and there wouldn't be a lot of force except UV to degrade the treads.
this.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
m_s said:
I don't understand why you think it would push water onto the path, can you explain?
It was pretty steep and if the water got rolling, the shape of the treads - half moon with the dip uphill would push the water to the sides.

I like your explanation though.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I going with the use up the tires explanation

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah I'm feeling the man made product being at one with the environment vibe on it...just rattled my brain on other reasons.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts