Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Floyd!!! His new TT position makes it easier to blow farmer honkers! Killin' it in the ITT! But does Phonak have the huevos to hold off hard-charging CSC and Disco? Anyone smell blood in the water?

·
Girl, ride me.
69 Posts
Certainly things are going to be more interesting. I do see Floyd getting isolated at some point, much like last year's Tour of GA. Disco and CSC will throw down, no doubt!

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
erik99 said:
Certainly things are going to be more interesting. I do see Floyd getting isolated at some point, much like last year's Tour of GA. Disco and CSC will throw down, no doubt!
Doubtful, Moos, Hunter and Jalabert are clearly riding well and the rest of the guys will bury themselves for the cause.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
erik99 said:
Well, where are they going to attack? It's not like there is any mountains in the rest of the race. And in any case, CSC could not follow Landis on stage 2.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
wheezer said:
Floyd!!! His new TT position makes it easier to blow farmer honkers! Killin' it in the ITT! But does Phonak have the huevos to hold off hard-charging CSC and Disco? Anyone smell blood in the water?
The next few stage courses aren't suppose to be selective enough to allow for much. So far I'm kind of surprised by the race. Why are guys who are suppose to be peaking in July (Landis, Leipheimer, Hincapie?) having a go so early?

I thought for sure Julich or Zabriskie or some US-based rider would take it. Seems awful early for riders peaking for the big races to be on form. I was shocked Simoni put in the effort to make the front group on Stage 2 although he appears to have taken it easy in the TT.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
The next few stage courses aren't suppose to be selective enough to allow for much. So far I'm kind of surprised by the race. Why are guys who are suppose to be peaking in July (Landis, Leipheimer, Hincapie?) having a go so early?

I thought for sure Julich or Zabriskie or some US-based rider would take it. Seems awful early for riders peaking for the big races to be on form. I was shocked Simoni put in the effort to make the front group on Stage 2 although he appears to have taken it easy in the TT.
Simoni lost a minute at the start because his bike was too light. Probably thought, "to hell with it" at that point. - TF

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much at stake

Dwayne Barry said:
Why are guys who are suppose to be peaking in July (Landis, Leipheimer, Hincapie?) having a go so early?

For American pros, there's a lot at stake for them individually and for cycling's popularity in the U.S. as a whole. With Lance out of the picture, there's a vacuum that any one of these guys or all of them collectively can fill. I'm psyched that they're throwing it down for us.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
wheezer said:
For American pros, there's a lot at stake for them individually and for cycling's popularity in the U.S. as a whole. With Lance out of the picture, there's a vacuum that any one of these guys or all of them collectively can fill. I'm psyched that they're throwing it down for us.
What made Lance was the cancer story, without it he wouldn't have ever enjoyed the popularity he did with the general US population.

G

·
den bakker said:
Well, where are they going to attack? It's not like there is any mountains in the rest of the race. And in any case, CSC could not follow Landis on stage 2.
Seems like most of Disco is holding back - maybe they are going to go for a fast lead out at the end of the stage so GH can sprint to grab a bit of time and maybe a time bonus as well. It would be difficult with the teams that are there, but worth a try I'd think.

·
Banned
608 Posts
AJL said:
Seems like most of Disco is holding back -
Instead of theorizing that Disco is holding back I prefer the simpler explanation: Landis spanked 'em.

I'd like to see Savoldelli bomb the descent Friday and take the win.

G

·
I was referring to today only, not the ITT yesterday. Today, Disco sent a few guys on attacks and short breaks. I guess they were just probing for weaknesses, otherwise, it makes no sense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here's a cancer story...

Dwayne Barry said:
What made Lance was the cancer story, without it he wouldn't have ever enjoyed the popularity he did with the general US population.

Okay this may sound more like Hollywood, but what if one of the top US riders comes out and says something like..."My mother had cancer, and I'm dedicating this season to her!", wouldn't that make some inroads with the general US populace?

I mean, work with me here. It's a total stretch, I know. Gee, it's only a beautiful sport. I got into it just because of the sheer thrill of the races, with or without Lance, it's still got that!

·
Banned
608 Posts
laxman said:
Okay this may sound more like Hollywood, but what if one of the top US riders comes out and says something like..."My mother had cancer, and I'm dedicating this season to her!", wouldn't that make some inroads with the general US populace?
Where would it end? Fairly soon everyone would be dedicating their seasons to their dying nephews, their friend killed in an auto crash, and their dead pet hamster. It would be like mountaineering today, where everyone who wants to get an expedition together and not pay for it themselves finds some cause they can use to bamboozle money from donors. Whatever cycling coverage that was shown would be just like the coverage of the Hawaii Ironman, which always focuses on the emotionally powerful story of the guy with no arms or legs who powers his custom bike with his tongue.

·
It's in the game!
2,042 Posts
I agree

AJL said:
Seems like most of Disco is holding back - maybe they are going to go for a fast lead out at the end of the stage so GH can sprint to grab a bit of time and maybe a time bonus as well. It would be difficult with the teams that are there, but worth a try I'd think.

after watching stage 4 that Disco is trying to get GH to the finish for the sprint, but they are gonna have to get rid of the real sprinters before the finish.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
dagger said:
after watching stage 4 that Disco is trying to get GH to the finish for the sprint, but they are gonna have to get rid of the real sprinters before the finish.
It seems possible in stage 5. Pretty big hill before the finish, I expect CSC, Levi and Disco to go all out. It's unlikely that the sprinters will be there for the finish today.

Silas

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
definitely a big hit ...

Under ACrookedSky said:
Whatever cycling coverage that was shown would be just like the coverage of the Hawaii Ironman, which always focuses on the emotionally powerful story of the guy with no arms or legs who powers his custom bike with his tongue.
... at bachelorette parties.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts