Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the many small amateur races many of us do. If you are on a team, say in a cat three race with four team members in that race. Say they are giving money five places deep, with one person on the team getting fourth, say $40. What do most folks do? Does fourth place person keep all the money or does he split it with the other three people who finished under fifth place? Just one of these operational questions on doing things that you do not want to ask, but would like to know.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
"I don't race, but this would seem to be the thing to do, esp. if your team did a lot of work to get/keep you in the front. I seem to recall that Lance gives all his prize money to the team during the TDF."

In professional races, the prize money goes to the team not the individual rider. Rider contracts specify how the prize money is distributed. Lance (and most other Tour winners) returned his share of the prize money to the other riders. Lance then chose to double each rider's share out of his own pocket.

Amateur teams can do whatever they choose. There's no single accepted way to handle it. The smart teams, though, spell out how prizes are handled before the start of the season."

·
Registered
38 Posts
lexington476 said:
In the many small amateur races many of us do. If you are on a team, say in a cat three race with four team members in that race. Say they are giving money five places deep, with one person on the team getting fourth, say $40. What do most folks do? Does fourth place person keep all the money or does he split it with the other three people who finished under fifth place? Just one of these operational questions on doing things that you do not want to ask, but would like to know.
in my club we have a policy in which money must be divided up or used to by the guys a few beers. The rider that placed received upgrade points, while everyone else enjoys the beer. If they win products, it's usually given up first come first serve.

In one race I won last season, even though I raced alone in my category, I offered up a bunch of stuff to those who had supported me in other races.

Doing things like these really promotes an awesome club environment.

·
Category Four Racer
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, that was what I was thinking. Share the wealth; lets go win some spreading round money. See you at the line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts