Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order with Nashbar a week and a half ago. I used to get two or three day service from them. Today, when I called to check on my order, they said 7 to 10 days for regular shipping.

Cost (within reason) isn't my primary concern because I'm just going to pass it on to the bike owner. Timeliness, however, is a biggie. These people want their bike back before the weather turns nice so that they can ride it.

So. Who gives the quickest mailorder or internet turnaround on bike components?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Just got two-day delivery from Nashbar...

Excel's been really good, and I agree Nashbar has lost a step. I placed an order Friday afternoon just before I went home, though, and the stuff was in my office in Reno when I got here Monday morning. That was standard shipping, no upgrade.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quickie

These are the one I usually order from:

Nashbar - Generally very quick
Jenson - Slow but worth it because of prices
Peformance - Average

If you are ordering by ground I think it probably has to do with where you are located in relation to the store you are ordering from.

·
GeoCyclist
655 Posts
Colorado Cyclists

If the item is in stock on the CC website, it's in the mail the same day. I've been purchasing my bike stuff via mail order, and then internet order, for the last 12 years. I think that CC has the fastest shipping service. Nashbar and Performance have to be two of the slowest; as in stock means they have the item located somewhere in their storage system, possibly a disused lavatory with a sign on the door warning to beware of the leper. Subsequently it takes them three weeks to find the part. It's their prices that keep suckering me into ordering from them. If you can stand the wait, go for the best price. If you need it quick, use Colorado Cyclist.

Best of luck!

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
I placed an order with Nashbar a week and a half ago. I used to get two or three day service from them. Today, when I called to check on my order, they said 7 to 10 days for regular shipping.

Cost (within reason) isn't my primary concern because I'm just going to pass it on to the bike owner. Timeliness, however, is a biggie. These people want their bike back before the weather turns nice so that they can ride it.

Excel for me but I'm in Dallas. Even their slow boat UPS and US Mail is 2 days.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Excel ships same day for orders placed before 12pm MST. For me (down the road in NM) that means I get things in 2 days with standard UPS shipping. In 10 trillion dollars spent with them, they've shipped same day with a morning order 100% of the time.

http://www.excelsports.com

CC has the same policy, and I've had the same result but over fewer orders. Their shipping is generally more expensive as well.

Performance, Nashbar, etc - catch as catch can.

One order with Wise Cycle Buys, took a couple of days to pull the order together. Ditto for Texas Cyclesport.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Excel and Performance

Spoke Wrench said:

I have probably ordered hundreds of times and spent $20,000 with Excel and $10,000 (and that's not even any bikes -- all components) with Performance over the last 6 years (I point that out only to show a substantial basis for my opinion here). With both companies, I nearly have always received immediate attention to my orders, and I usually order over night or second day delivery. In fact, the only problems I have had was recently when Perfomance was doing annual inventory, I had a 3 day delay, and once Performance failed to send me an item that was invoiced andorder, it simply was not in the box. They fixed it right away, no problem. I really have enjoyed doing business with both of them. Their websites work great, needing no phone calls, and let you know if something is not in stock.

Colorado Cyclist has pissed me off every time I ordered from them. There's always some bulls**t delay, like an email 3 days after I order to "verify my billing address." I don't order from them unless it's something I cannot get elsewhere.

Chicagoland is ok, but not quite as quick, and they are a bit pricey.

Supergo routinely pissed me off, too, with wrong items delivered, backorders, and unexplained delays.

Those are some of the biggies, although I've also ordered from Harris Cyclery, Branford, Lickbike, World Cycling Productions, Peter White, Nashbar, Tri-Specialties, Renaissance Cycles, World Class Cycles, Loose Screws, Ecaps/Hammer, and probably some others. No doubt Excel and Perfomance clearly stand out as the best in the country.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would have to agree with previous posters. Both Performance and CC are average. If you're looking for tires I'd suggest biketiresdirect.com. They are the only company I buy tires from and they always ship on time as promised.

Now if you want to know who is the worst, and I mean the ultimate worst for mail order/Internet it's Coombe. You may have seen their banner here for the pedals they sell. Their product is great, but it took them 5 weeks last year to get me my pedals and when I bought new shoes this year and needed new cleats it took them 6 weeks. If I didn't have all the money wrapped up in their pedals I would have just got a set of Speedplays. Simply pathetic by the standards of today!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Performance-however......

I have ordered from Performance, Bike Nashbar, Branford Bike, Jenson, Price Point, I'm sure there are others I can't remember.
Performance is o.k. if you are a Team member (2nd day shipping). Otherwise it takes 7-10 working days. You can have stuff shipped overnight if you want to pay for the shipping. The problem I've had with Performance is with their returns. Twice I have returned items for replacement, and twice I've had very poor serivce, requiring a lot of emails or phone calls. Performance has good prices if you wait until things go on sale. I never buy anything over the internet unless it is on sale. The good thing about Performance, even though their return dept sucks (maybe I just had bad luck) is that they will replace anything, no reason required. A couple of years ago I ordered some gel cycling shorts and I worn them for a couple of months and the gel started to leak out. I contacted Performance and they said return them and they would replace them with another short at the same cost or I could make up the difference. I ended up with better shorts, that happened to be on sale at the same price. However it took awhile to get the order (about 3 weeks). I've used Price Point, which is in SoCal and I get stuff delivered in about 3 or 4 working days. They have good prices and their customer service seems to be good....

·
Banned
9 Posts
my routine ....

go to excel's website and select the items i need - add to shopping cart.

review items in shopping cart - then call their 1-800 # before 4pm their time. staff that man the phones are quite knowledgeable and knowing all the item codes by reading them from the shopping cart makes for no error's. i'll know immediately if something is not in stock.

ask for next day shipping & it will be with you - no fuss.

·
Ti me up
1,242 Posts
I am a Team member

Dinosaur said:
IPerformance is o.k. if you are a Team member (2nd day shipping).
Man, I am a Team member, and they still frustrate me no end. With the state of retailing today, if an order is placed by noon or so, there is no reason not to be able to pick, pack and ship same day. But I don't think I have EVER seen Performance do that. Even if I place an order overnight, it doesn't ship next day - always seems to take them one business day just to look at it and go, "Huh, we got an order!" and then maybe they ship it the day after that.

·
Banned
61 Posts
I think Nashbar is way over-priced...I've gotten great service from JensonUSA.com -- 2-day shipping charges are reasonable and the prices are good.

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Ditto on excel

FTMD said:
Excel will get your stuff to St. Charles County within 2 days almost always.

Speedgoat (mtb orientated) is about the same.
If I order in the morning, I receive two days later. It may help that my office is very close to O'Hare airport.

Alex

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.