Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
If resolving your harsh ride is the most important goal, then go up a size in any decent tire (for example, to a 700X25).

I've liked the Michelin Carbons for a good combination of durability and ride quality.

· Registered
382 Posts
michelin pro race

The smoothest tire I've used is the michelin pro race. But I found they cut really easy. Right now I"m using the continental gp 4000. They seem to be holding up well and I get a decent ride out of them. But the pro race are definitly the smoothest I've ever used.

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
If you want the smoothest-riding clincher for its size, you need a high-thread-count, cotton-casing tyre like a Veloflex Pave or a Vittoria Open Corsa. They are expensive, and don't last long.

Or, like others have said, going from 23mm to 25mm makes a world of difference.

· Registered
23 Posts
I second the pro race. Very nice ride, but easy to cut. It is possible to get miles out of these tires (I had over 2000 front and rear), but you have to AVOID road debris like the plague.

Right now I'm riding Rubinos on the commuter and pro grips on the nice ride. Pro grips are very nice too.

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
glenj said:
I second the pro race. Very nice ride, but easy to cut. It is possible to get miles out of these tires (I had over 2000 front and rear), but you have to AVOID road debris like the plague.

Right now I'm riding Rubinos on the commuter and pro grips on the nice ride. Pro grips are very nice too.
You don't avoid obstacles otherwise???
Ooh look a beer bottle... *crunch* :confused:
-estone2

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
If you have Armadillos, maybe...

A teammate of mine (who has since moved away) and I both had older steel roadbike - fixie conversions for winter trainers. We ran 25mm Armadillos on 'em, sometimes when the weather was garbage we'd laugh and say "TANK BIKE DAY!"

· RoadBikeReview's Member
5,513 Posts
Argentius said:
If you have Armadillos, maybe...

A teammate of mine (who has since moved away) and I both had older steel roadbike - fixie conversions for winter trainers. We ran 25mm Armadillos on 'em, sometimes when the weather was garbage we'd laugh and say "TANK BIKE DAY!"
Eh. I still wouldn't do it. You're talking to someone who skirts manhole covers.
Although that's mainly cuz I only see em in town on the main road, when I'm commuting in on that stretch at ~30mph. Any jolts feel GREAT. Thus, you avoid manholes and concrete patches at all costs.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
Specialized Roubaix 23/25 tires. Kind of a marketing gimmick, but they have the volume of a 25mm tire with the contact patch portion of the tread the same size as a 23mm. Basically, they are tall. Switching over to them for my Sunday Century rides have made a world of difference in comfort. Good flat resistance too. Then again, any quality 25mm tire will give a smooth ride. Except armadillos, I have 25 mm armadillos on my "other" commuting wheelset (Roval Pave) and they ride like crap but I need the flat resistance. The wheels are stiff too.

· Registered
676 Posts
I quit buying Michelins because they are super easy to cut.....I've been using Panaracer s (Stradius Pros & Extreme) for the last 4 years and have no complaints....much better control (and virtually zero slippage) than the Michs or Contis...

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Booogus claim

bigbill said:
Specialized Roubaix 23/25 tires. Kind of a marketing gimmick, but they have the volume of a 25mm tire with the contact patch portion of the tread the same size as a 23mm.
The contact patch size of a tire is determined by two things: tire pressure and rider + bike weight. You can do anything you want with tire construction, but if there is 100 psi in the tire and it is carrying a 100 lb load, the contact patch will be 1 square inch. This concept is not "kind of a marketing gimmick" it is purely a marketing gimmick. The tire might be "taller" because the tread is thicker, but the contact patch size will not change as a result of that.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
The only thing that might be different, given the same psi and rider+bike weight, would be the shape of the contact patch. A narrower tire would have a longer and narrower patch while a wider tire would have a shorter and wider patch. The total size of the patch would be equal. Either way we're only talking about a few milimeters difference in length and width.

· Registered
192 Posts
Michelin Race Pro up front and Carbon in the back. Great combinatino for me on bad San Diego roads. 1500-2000 on the backs and 2000+ on the fronts. I used to ride Contis here, but never gound get 1200 on them. I weigh ~175 lbs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.