Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Descender
1,940 Posts
From what I can see, you would be better off renting and driving. It's about 160 miles out of Denver via the freeway (2 1/2 hours), driven it many times - and much more if you take alternative routes. Further, those routes may add on hours due to climbing - and there are some high elevation roads that are not passable until mid summer - not always predictable as to which ones either.

Also, the airport is on the far eastern side of the city - so you would have to ride 30 - 40 miles from one end of the city to the other going west in city traffic.

Great idea - but the city and the mountains get in the way.

A friend of mine is doing that ride - looks like a great route this year.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i'd really like to take 2 or 3 days to get acclimated to the elevation though. before the start of the ride.
so the main highway to the starting point is the only guaranteed passage?
cuz i wouldn't mind taking 3 days to get from denver to glenwood springs

oh, and how would i score some of the reefer once i'm out there?
i don't want to bring it with me on the plane
seriously!
no, seriously. i'm not a Fed, or the cops. i swear!

·
Burnum Upus Quadricepus
2,017 Posts
You could take the train from Denver to Glenwood Springs.

Don't use an airline bike box on the train, however. Amtrak has a strict 50 lb. weight limit for checked bags. Overweight means no-go and my club's airline box put my bike and gear over the limit. Instead use their cardboard bike box. It's $15, and reusable on the trip back. Your bike travels for $5 each way. Even better, all you have to do is remove the pedals, turn the bars sideways, roll the bike into the box and tape up the ends.

You'll get to GSC by a much more scenic route than by cycling I-70. And you can still go a few days early and ride around there for acclimating.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've done a couple of bike tours and have covered the sections going from Golden over to Copper Mountain and that is all doable. I know there's a bike path going from Copper Mtn over to Vail but don't know about further west than that.

How would you carry gear with you? The weight can really get to you when your lugging it up those mountain passes, Loveland Pass is 11,990 ft and you have to climb it since the I-70 is off limits for bikes in that area. It can also be fairly cold early in the mornings and also coming down the mountains.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
You should post this in the Rocky Mountain section as that's where it would be seen by those of us who live in Colorado...

At any rate, it is actually pretty easy to do.

From DIA, you can ride out to Lookout Mountain via central Denver, then go up Lookout, over to Genessee, then on to Idaho Springs. From there you go up the frontage road to Loveland Pass, down into Summit county, and you can stay in Frisco that night. The next day, you go from Frisco to Copper Mountain, over Vail pass from the easy side, and then ride the frontage road all the way downhill to Glenwood (including the canyon).

I have done this both ways, starting and finishing in downtown Denver, one day each way. I did it in 2002 so I can't remember the exact milage but I think that it was about 180 miles each way. It's very doable.

If you're serious about it, I can write out the directions and draw out a map (sort of).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I live in Colorado.

Sherpa23 has given perfect directions, I've done most of it ... but you're crazy to ride all that with your gear/luggage at an altitude you're probably not acclimated to. Where are you coming from? If you can find a way to ship your gear to Glenwood and only take a change of clothes for the overnight in Frisco, you'll be much better off. Or, get yourself to Glenwood as fast as possible then ride from there back to Copper or south to Aspen (Independence Pass ought to do it). That'll acclimate you pretty quick.

I don't have any connections for reefer ... anymore. However, once you get into the mountain towns, ask any lift operator, waiter, or bartender. You'll get the hookup.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
Sherpa23 said:
You should post this in the Rocky Mountain section as that's where it would be seen by those of us who live in Colorado...

At any rate, it is actually pretty easy to do.

From DIA, you can ride out to Lookout Mountain via central Denver, then go up Lookout, over to Genessee, then on to Idaho Springs. From there you go up the frontage road to Loveland Pass, down into Summit county, and you can stay in Frisco that night. The next day, you go from Frisco to Copper Mountain, over Vail pass from the easy side, and then ride the frontage road all the way downhill to Glenwood (including the canyon).

I have done this both ways, starting and finishing in downtown Denver, one day each way. I did it in 2002 so I can't remember the exact milage but I think that it was about 180 miles each way. It's very doable.

If you're serious about it, I can write out the directions and draw out a map (sort of).
I've done the same route, minus the mileage from DIA and its a great ride. I just wouldn't do it after getting off a plane and lugging gear with me. The mountains can also have fun, late afternoon T storms at that time of the year so your riding day is limited.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,009 Posts
Mootsie said:
I've done the same route, minus the mileage from DIA and its a great ride. I just wouldn't do it after getting off a plane and lugging gear with me. The mountains can also have fun, late afternoon T storms at that time of the year so your riding day is limited.

I should probably add that even though I did the whole way in one day, I can't think of anything I'd enjoy less than ride half of it lugging gear, after getting off the plane. Easy route to do, sure, but it would not be fun.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Those would be two big ol' days before a big ol's week of riding, especially if you're not used to the elevation.

Another option would be to arrive two days early and so some selected shorter rides, such as around Boulder or Breckenridge.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the train sounds like a good option
i'll go out a day or 2 early anyway. and ride around GWS.
i was just going to carry a backpack with a change of clothes.
maybe i'll take another few days after the tour to ride back to denver.

this is gonna be fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts