Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I raced on steel for a long time. Some of my best rides and races have been on one. When I had a steel bike it was a Scapin and a Daccordi, they are both from Italy

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
yeah same here, it's a custom, lugged, built for me 2002, basically a cx bike with somewhat road-ish geometry. raced many many races, placed, won, etc.

last fall I bought a c-dale off of ebay so I can keep the steel bike in my preferred mode for it as a "rough stuff / gravel / trails" bike and leave my racing bike in racing mode.

plus, I wanted a bike paint job that matched my team kit and the steel bike didn't.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ask because I'm thinking of unloading all my bikes and funneling down to just one: my steel/carbon Columbus frame - mostly because it's the newest and lightest. I'll miss my old Colnago, though. :(

·
Registered
216 Posts
Carl Strong built my race bike (S3 and Spirit/Life combo) and it rocks. 1452 grams (3.2 lbs for all you non-gram heads) frame weight, built to 17.5 lbs. Advantage over carbon is I don't worry about crashing out a non-replaceable frame.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
I race a steel cyclocross bike (Gunnar). When I did race road, I started on a steel Lemond and then switched to an Al/Carbon Litespeed.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Steel is ALL I've ever raced on. Steel frame and fork. It's not the frame that keeps me from winning. Here's my bike. The frame is 25 years old. Note how bad it's rusted. Only when it breaks will I replace it. I paid $200 for it USED, when it was one year old. It probably weighs what other top end bikes of the era weighed, but there were guys then who rode similar bikes who handed me my butt. If buying a lighter bike then wasn't going to make me fast enough to win races, why would it now?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Both my road bikes are steel, a Spectrum and a Waterford and I have raced them both. Won more on the Spectrum, but I have raced more on it too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's gorgeous, Crashracer. Almost too gorgeous to race on IMO.

What are the specs on that Vanilla?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
I race on my steel Gunnar. Just last weekend I out-sprinted an OCLV.....meh.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
I race on my steel Gunnar. Just last weekend I out-sprinted an OCLV.....meh.
Lovely, isn't it, when that can be done.

Gunnar is on my short list for steel, btw. It or a Torelli is all I need. I don't believe I have a body that requires "custom."

·
Registered
69 Posts
What are the specs on that Vanilla?[/QUOTE]

It's built of oversized steel TrueTemper S3. 3.0lbs. Fork is AlphaQ sub3.
Campy Record. Custom 97mm ti square taper BB spindle and shortened Speedplay axels for extra low-q and ground clearance. Complete, the bike weighs 15.5lbs. It's very stiff and handles like a track bike. Not your typical comfy carbon century bike. This bike sends the road texture to your fingertips so you can feel and maneuver the course with precision and confidence. Feels just right to me.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Keeping up with Junior said:
These guys do!

http://www.menofsteelracing.com/

Local guy has put this together with some steel only events this year. I will dig a bit deeper in my garage and strap into the pedals of my steel bike this summer at their INdiana events.
I went to the Athens Men of Steel race this last weekend and only 4 guys entered:sad:

·
Banned
3,254 Posts
Nice bikes!

They really do look like bikes rather than contrivances.

My carbon 381, 55cm weighs more than 1800 grams I believe and almost 19lbs with Record, Chorus mix and open pros. Oh, and a Brooks Professional.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
My race bike is a <a href="http://www.desalvocycles.com/?a=ow&prod=steel_road_08_lg.jpg">team issue steel DeSalvo</a>. Depending on wheel selection, it weighs between 16.5 and 17.5 on race day.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts