Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3,096 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
I would like to get some as well. The site that sells the Selle Anatomica also sells leather bar tape. That and one of their saddles in a matching color (brown) would look great on my bike.
I put the Selle Anatomica on my Raleigh because it was half the price of the Brooks. But I wouldn't do it again. It isn't bevelled and the leather is rather hard. Not a big deal as I just use that bike for my short commute. But I don't think I'd like to spend a couple of hours on it.

· Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
I've used Brooks and Velo-Orange leather wraps... they both look great and wear well but they aren't as comfortable as padded cork or vinyl......
Dave, I'll disagree. The VO elk hide bar wrap is very comfortable, nice and grippy and provides a nice cushion on bad roads. When I installed the Velo Orange bar wrap, I used a single layer of hockey tape as an underwrap, as I do on all my bikes regardless of the type of bar tape I use.

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
I had leather wrap on my bars during the '80's. It was considerably more comfortable than the cloth and plastic tape of the era, but when Cinelli introduced cork tape it was an instant arrivaderci to the leather stuff. Leather looks great, and it even looks great scuffed and worn, but it's not what I'd personally use on my go-to bikes.

· Registered
1,536 Posts
I used to wrap my bars in leather and liked it cause it looked so classy. But I didn't buy the stuff made for bikes- I bought leather steering wheel covers and cut them. They were usually made with 2 seams, so I would cut it open at one seam, and the other I would place at the brake lever, wrapping down towards the end of the bar and then starting back at the brake lever again and wrapping up towards the top of the bar. Of course by wrapping I mean stitching, as it came with very strong waxed thread. I would first soak the leather in water to make it conform more easily, and when it dried, it would shrink a bit and be very snug. It was time consuming, but very unique and classy. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that style of steering wheel cover available for at least 10 years.

· Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
I have the Brook on one set of bars. I like the grippy feel, and it has lasted a long time so far. Mine faded over time, so I don't like the color so much anymore, but I have not done anything about it. I'll probably use the Velo Orange stuff from now on.

· Registered
3,096 Posts
I like that Holdsworth. When I get some "mad money", I'll probably replace the Selle Anatomica with the Brooks to match my honey B-17.

· Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
It's fixed of course. Campy track hubs, BB and head-set. Suntour Superbe brakes and crank, Nitto bars, seat post and lugged stem.

Frame was restored by Bicycle Specialties here in Toronto

· Roadie with unshaven legs
2,041 Posts
I had the white Velo-Orange leather wrap on my Colnago (do a search, I've posted about it more than once) and I loved it when it was new and clean. Unfortunately, being white, it became dirty really quickly and I only wore gloves when I rode. Not only that but it scuffed easily and cleaning the white surface resulted in what looked like suede. I replaced it with the Fizik synthetic tape and have been happy ever since.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.