Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get it really.

I mean, there are IPAs I like, and dislike.
There are stouts, hefes, lagers, marzens, etc that I like and dislike.

But the one that continually disappoints me are browns. I think Im just not a fan of browns. Whats a "good" brown?

Who is the target market for browns? And sours for that matter?

Anyway. its Monday and Im thinking of Friday already.

*sigh*

·
Registered
314 Posts
Surely you've tried Newcastle Brown? To paraphrase somebody interesting, I don't always drink ale, but when I do I drink NB.

And I have it on good authority, i.e. an Englishman who would never (cough) lie, that hospitals in the UK have entire wards for "Nukie Brown" abusers. Although, come to think of it, that probably says more about its price than its taste.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
I enjoy brown ales more than I should, and I second the suggestions above. Samuel Smith's. Newcastle. Fine brews both.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think sometimes the expectation is for a heavier stout quality and sometimes they are not that heavy.

I like the occasional brown but it wants to have an interesting flavor.

My tastes run towards amber ales, but like Brooklyn Brown, as well Trader Joe's makes a nice Brown called Mission Ale that is a nice taste and runs about $2.49 for a 22 oz. bottle.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,152 Posts
I can appreciate a good brown ale, but they're usually 4th or 5th on the list of beers I want to try. My mother-in-law LOVES them though.

My experience is that they can occasionally taste kinda funky, or like they've settled out.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I love a good Oud Brun

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
they're a nice 'in between' beer. not too hoppy...not too light...not too heavy.
I personally can't stand IPA's...too tart, too hoppy generally...and a little hard on the stomach. I can appreciate a nice, solid bodied brown from the local micro room...of which we have over 80+. :)

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
never really been a fan of brown ales.

just not much character...not hoppy like a pale ale/IPA, not easy-drinking like a lager, not robust like a stout or porter...

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
never really been a fan of brown ales.

just not much character...not hoppy like a pale ale/IPA, not easy-drinking like a lager, not robust like a stout or porter...
Yep. Rarely one will sound good, with some food. Braised pork for example. But there are pretty much always better options.

I have been at some people's houses when a Newcastle is the best option.

·
Super Moderator
40,840 Posts
I enjoy brown ales more than I should, and I second the suggestions above. Samuel Smith's. Newcastle. Fine brews both.

Thirded.

I'm kinda hoping that one of the brewers into cleverly-labeled ales will, in keeping with recent news, introduce a, uh, Roger Ales.

I'd imagine such a brew might not be so popular with female drinkers, though. :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Who likes Brown ales? Well, my wife likes them a lot. Big Sky Moose Drool, Newcastle, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown, are definitely in her "like" category. What she doesn't like are tart and bitter tastes like IPAs and most Belgian varieties, which I like a lot.

Yes, I've had many Brown ales that were sort of flat and watered down, but some of them have more character and are more enjoyable.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I never had a Brown Ale I thought was much good. Newcastle might be one of the worse beers (to my taste) I ever had. I'd choose Old Mil light over it.

Sam Smith Nut Brown was decent but by far the least preferable of any Sam Smith's brew.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
Newcastle is a one of my goto's when I want a light session beer.

Best brown ale I've tried was a maple brown ale that I just had last week. Brewed nearby, actually upstairs in the kitchen..

·
Registered
212 Posts
Browns are a great break from the norm. I have been on IPA binges,,, welcomed the browns, lager binges, welcomed the browns,,, you name it,,, it's more "sophisticated" than grabbing a Coors Light to break the monotony...

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've had most and I think my issue is that it's an in between extreme beer. I love big double IPAs and imperial aged stouts. So honestly it's just meh. I am intrigued by one...

Palo Santo Marron by Dogfish? It's a brown imperial double!!!!

12% bam!

Has anyone had that???

I need to find it, my untappd trigger finger is itchy.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I've had most and I think my issue is that it's an in between extreme beer. I love big double IPAs and imperial aged stouts. So honestly it's just meh. I am intrigued by one...

Palo Santo Marron by Dogfish? It's a brown imperial double!!!!

12% bam!

Has anyone had that???

I need to find it, my untappd trigger finger is itchy.
It is delicious. As are sours. As is moose drool.

Perhaps the OP would be more comfortable with a wine cooler, or perhaps a refreshing Zima?

1 - 20 of 100 Posts