Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been some posts lately about duty being charged for merchandise from Ribble. I've never had that happen to me. But it is happening now for a bike frame I bought from Maestro. I was following the tracking and the last message was "A valid ID # (tax, personal, deferment) required for clearance is missing. We're working to obtain this information". So I called UPS and they put me in touch with a broker who wanted my tax ID number. Don't have one. Employer ID number. Don't have one. Social Security number. I got that. So I give it to the person on the phone who ways the package will be released later today. Di I owe anything on it? She says "there's 142 56 on it" So I assume that's what I owe in duty and they want my info to make sure I pay up?

Can I appeal this?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
You need to know if there is Excise Duty payable on a bike frame from the country of sender to the country of purchaser. I suspect there is. Your local Customs & Excise department (look 'em up) will tell you.

You can appeal anything but if there is duty payable on that frame, you won't win.

Don't confuse a frame with any other bike parts you may not have paid duty on in the past. You have to know the rules.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always check the duty at the Import Duty & Taxes website, but even when this has said a duty was due I haven't been charged it. Yet.
I checked your duty calculator and looks like it adds up to approximately what the woman said. Does the shipper try to collect that when the package is delivered? Maybe I should have given them a fake social security number.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
I always check the duty at the Import Duty & Taxes website, but even when this has said a duty was due I haven't been charged it. Yet.
Problem being much of the time, people have been dinged wrongly for good that shouldn't be dinged.

I checked your duty calculator and looks like it adds up to approximately what the woman said. Does the shipper try to collect that when the package is delivered? Maybe I should have given them a fake social security number.
You'll be charged the duty as well as a "brokerage fee" on top. So $142.56 is only a bit of it, probably closer to $200 when all is said and done. The UPS/FedEx guy will demand COD (or credit card) for the customs or your goods will be withheld and not delivered.

I just ordered in a new helmet from the UK. Dodged customs because Royal Mail and USPS fly under the duty radar most of the time.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem being much of the time, people have been dinged wrongly for good that shouldn't be dinged.

You'll be charged the duty as well as a "brokerage fee" on top. So $142.56 is only a bit of it, probably closer to $200 when all is said and done. The UPS/FedEx guy will demand COD (or credit card) for the customs or your goods will be withheld and not delivered.

I just ordered in a new helmet from the UK. Dodged customs because Royal Mail and USPS fly under the duty radar most of the time.
Oh well, what can I do? I paid $1100 less for the frame than anywhere else that has it, so I'm still ahead. I looked and there is a 3.9% tax on bike frames. And the person I spoke to was a "broker" that UPS hooked me up with.

Everything I get from Ribble comes USPS. I never get charged and there is tax on items like bike seats (8%) that I order.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
Oh well, what can I do? I paid $1100 less for the frame than anywhere else that has it, so I'm still ahead. I looked and there is a 3.9% tax on bike frames. And the person I spoke to was a "broker" that UPS hooked me up with.

Everything I get from Ribble comes USPS. I never get charged and there is tax on items like bike seats (8%) that I order.
Not a whole lot to do, other than pay up or kiss your goods goodbye.

Ribble normally has flown under the radar with duties, especially with USPS...Maybe their new ownership is running a much tighter legal ship. I've ordered from them too pre and post buyout. The again I've never ordered a frameset from them only physically smaller goods like transmissions and cassettes.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
yes, 3.9% for the frame is right. I got dinged for $75 a couple years ago when my Canyon came to the US. FedEx collected it on delivery. But then about 4 months later I got a check in the mail for $75 from FedEx. It said "due to mischarge". I didn't complain.
I've got a custom Bixxis coming on Friday via DHL. My guess is that I will get hit.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, 3.9% for the frame is right. I got dinged for $75 a couple years ago when my Canyon came to the US. FedEx collected it on delivery. But then about 4 months later I got a check in the mail for $75 from FedEx. It said "due to mischarge". I didn't complain.
I've got a custom Bixxis coming on Friday via DHL. My guess is that I will get hit.
Years ago my wife and I bought two Colnago C40 frames while we were on vacation in Italy. Actually we ordered them because they were "custom" -- whatever that means in Italian. The guy took a bunch of measurements and typed them into some kind of computer program. About 6 months later, they arrived via DHL. No tax/duty, but I do recall that the shipping was expensive -- maybe around $400 for both frames.

I have some stuff from Ribble inbound. I'll post on here if I get hit with a tax.

Here's the frame on Mike from Maestro's kitchen table. I'm gonna pay up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPS guy showed up around 6:00 PM and said I needed to write a check for 142.52 which is what I figured the duty to be on the frame. Given I paid a lot less than what anyone in the U.S. is selling the frame/fork for, I was happy to pay it.

Amazing how quick this stuff moves. It was in the UK Wednesday night (according to the UPS tracking), and on my doorstep Thursday night.

It's the most drop dead beautiful frame I've ever seen.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
It's a hit or miss proposition.

If you go to some of the websites referred to in other posts, you can get an idea of what should be charged.

I always buy assuming that I will have to pay required duties and then am plesantly surprised when they are not charged.

Also, duties are subject to audit....I've been banged for duty as long as 18 months after delivery.

Len

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.