Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using SPD 747's on my road bike and on my tandem. They work well for me because I'm mostly a restaurant-to-restaurant rider so I appreciate the recessed cleat, and because I think they operate much more "crisply" than the less expensive Shimano pedals.

I'd like to switch to a one sided, more road oeiented, pedal. Does anybody know if Shimano makes a one sided pedal with a similar, upgraded, SPD mechanism?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pdm 324

I have been using PDM 324 for tours and around town ridding. I have been real happy with them the only draw back is their weight. I also like using them on my trainer I use the same pedals with regular shoe's to warm my knee's up for squats and SPD shoe's on my bike work out days.

·
You talking to me?
736 Posts
If you can find Ultegra road pedals of the same vintage as your 747's, they use SPD cleats that are very similar to the 747's. Although they take a different model SPD cleat, you might be able to get both pedals to work satisfactorily with one cleat style.

I'm not sure what's out there currently in road pedals with SPD cleats, but I imagine that some of the house brand stuff takes SPD cleats.

Bryan

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've seen them

Hi,

I use a single sided dura ace SPD pedal on my race bike, and I use a single sided welgo SPD pedal on the other. I thought that Shimano only has two SPD cleats on offer, one is fixed and another has float. Therefore I am assuming that all SPD pedals are compatible. I love SPDs because I can have walking shoes with recessed cleats for commuting and I can use the same pair of shoes for MTB and Road.... however I think I will be changing to Looks next because the SPD is really hard to clip into at the start of races.

You can still find DuraAce SPDs around and I know for a fact that Shimano still produces a single sided SPD (not DuraAce), but for the life of me I can't remember the name or where I've seen it online.... ah.... just found it, you owe me one:

http://www.wheelbase.co.uk/trolleyed/4/73/148/index.htm

Regards,
Sean

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Spoke Wrench said:
I've been using SPD 747's on my road bike and on my tandem. They work well for me because I'm mostly a restaurant-to-restaurant rider so I appreciate the recessed cleat, and because I think they operate much more "crisply" than the less expensive Shimano pedals.

I'd like to switch to a one sided, more road oeiented, pedal. Does anybody know if Shimano makes a one sided pedal with a similar, upgraded, SPD mechanism?
Hey spokey, if you think that's a faux pas, I actually race a set of two sided 525s (original version from 1992 that weigh about 4 pounds). I just put a set of one sided spd pedals on my cheapo TT bike. I got 'em from www.chucksbikes.com -- they are Exus brand and ran me $20. No complaints with them so far 'cept that clipping in on a single side takes some getting used to. They look very similar to the Performance and Nashbar housebrand spd pedals. Cleat compatibility is not an issue -- I use two pairs of shoes, winter and summer for the two road bikes and my mountain bikes. Each pair of shoes has a different cleat, and no two bikes have pedals from the same manufacturer. Shoes work in all pedals (mtb has double sided Ritchey MTB pedals).

I get kooky looks from the Roadie establishment 'till I drop 'em. ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, I didn't tell the whole story the first time.

For whatever reason, I have had more trouble getting acclimated to using clipless pedals than anyone I know. I tried several different brands, including ATACs. I almost gave up on clipless entirely because I got tired of providing the entertainment for my mountain biking buddies. Eventually I stumbled on the combination of genuine Shimano SPD pedals and the SH55 zero float cleat.

Currently, besides the 747s, I have a pair of 324s on my beater bike and a couple pairs of Specialized pedals on other bikes that I ride. The Specialized pedals don't release nearly as nicely as Shimano but that might be because I'm using Shimano cleats. I'm thinking I'd like to pick up a couple more pairs of Shimano pedals. Since 747s are my favorite, I thought if I could find one sided pedals with the same mechanism, that's what I would get. Otherwise I might try something like Ritchey Logic Pros. Anybody have any other ideas?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've got a set of 636 Pedals for MTB and Some Shimano 600 pedals (like the a515) and the feeling is the same, and i just use my northwaves with the same cleat. You should have no problem. get the a515 pedals

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
SPD Road Pedals

Spoke, the wife and I have a set of Dura-Ace # 7410 road pedals and a set of the equivalent Ultegra pedals. We use these on rental touring bikes to use with our walkable Shimano mountain bike shoes. And we use to use them on SIDI road shoes. I bought the D-A pedals on close-out in 1998 just before the SPD-R pedals were introduced. The D-A 7410's are very good pedals with more float than the Ultegras. There were actually several cleats available to work with either type. We use # 51 or # 55 cleats because they have some float. We also have # 70 & # 71 cleats. The cleat numbers are stamped into the bottom of the cleat. Get the D-A's if you can find them. The only drawback is that the bearings are so good that if you tap the pedal with your toe it will spin like crazy causing a delay before you can get hooked up and go. We switched to Speedplay X-1's for most riding.
~Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts