Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Done
4,569 Posts
Cool bike.

Not an expert here, but one clue is the wrap-around seat-stay cluster. Maybe Holdsworth? The problem with that is the serial number doesn't match up with what the internet thinks that Holdsworth was using. (At least based on the 5 minutes of Google time that I spent in order to become an instant expert on vintage Holdsworth serial numbers). What is stamped/cast into the rear track ends?

·
Done
4,569 Posts
Well another clue is the Reynolds tubing sticker. If it is original, that particular design was apparently used between 1952 and 1973. You can use this link to download a document that has more information about Reynolds tubing stickers than you probably ever wanted to know.

Reynolds 531 Tubing Decals – H Lloyd Cycles (h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com)

Holdsworth did use 531. The Holdsworth track frames from 71 and 73, at least on paper, do share some specs as your frame:

Pro71.jpg (727×966) (nkilgariff.com)

Holdsworth Professional (nkilgariff.com)

The wrap around seat cluster is probably a big tell here. I wonder if Condor did any wrap around seat stay clusters?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that Reynold reference is astounding! In the Condor catalog they say no, that wraparounds were used on mass production frames like Raleigh, Carlton and Falcon:

But yet a long look at the (very fuzzy) head badge shows red on top with black and gold below. I couldn't find that color pattern on any other brands.

Attachments

·
Done
4,569 Posts
....and a gallery of Holdsworth head badges. Red on top. Dark and gold below.

VeloBase.com - Head Badge Gallery

But the Condor badge does look closer to the one in the fuzzy image.

I did look at that catalogs and the info on the Condor website. Based on the lugs, if that is a Condor then it is an Italia model. The other thing that is interesting that I gleaned from one of the 1970's catalogs is that Condors were/are all custom orders and back then you could order a bike with chrome plating.

There is an article on Condor bikes at classicrendevous.com has a description of a 1962 Condor "path bike" that apparently has wrap-style seat stay. No picture, however.

Condor, main (classicrendezvous.com)

The other thought is that the serial number on your bike may work better in the Condor system of numbering. It doesn't match the Holdsworth numbering.

So...who knows! Still a very cool bike...

·
Done
4,569 Posts
Okay, another clue.

The rivet holes that are drilled into the head tube for the badge are arranged vertically (i.e., up and down). The head badge for a Condor looks like it is attached to the bike with a pair of rivets that are arranged horizontally (i.e. side to side).

VeloBase.com - Head Badge Gallery

Condor Head Badges (james-straffon.co.uk)

The rivets on a Holdsworth badge are arranged vertically. Not definitive by any means, but just sayin'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts