Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I purchased this cross bike frame and am putting it together for my son to ride. I am trying to find out who made the frame in case I need to get a spare derailleur hanger. It is aluminum and at least a few years old (as the guy I purchased it from had it for a few years but never used it).

If this looks familiar to you I would love to know!!

Thanks,
Ian Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Grey Metal Pipe Bicycle accessory Iron

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
just do a visual match on the wheels manufacturing site for the hanger.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
just do a visual match on the wheels manufacturing site for the hanger.
yeah, you'll probably have to do that. Judging by the welding and the fact there's no brand decals or anything I'd guess someone made it in their basement or it's a brand that probably isn't around to providing spare hangers.

·
Registered
668 Posts
That is one fugly bike.

Dang, little harsh on a parent just trying to get their (growing )kid in the game. Ya think?

If you don't have anything nice to say, what you say better be funny. And you can still sit by me and mutter, but don't dissuade the guy from trying to get/keep his kid riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Could it be a Specialized Tricross? Anyway that's a lot of serial number for a small house custom job I would think.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
too many serial #s for a small mfr
are the drop outs welded or stamped? Can't tell from the picture

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I think it's a generic Taiwanese frame. I had a similar thing that I bought without any names on it. If you like it, call it whatever you like. Re the hanger, remove it clean it and look for any markings and start searching.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! While I'm still not sure who makes the frame, that Planet X bike looks very similar. I will e-mail them the serial number and see if they recognize it! If that doesn't pan out, it's really not that big of a deal. The bike will still work fine! If my son really gets into it more then I will look at upgrading. At the moment he is racing cross country for NICA so this is just to help build endurance. Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ACG, I think you may have nailed it!!

It appears that this may be a Planet X Uncle Johns Frame! I sent an e-mail with a couple pictures to them. Below is the response. While not a 100% certain match, it's probably as close as I'm going to get to figuring it out!

Hi,

Thanks for your email and patience.

This does indeed look like a very early Uncle John frame as it doesnt have a disc brake mount.

We dont keep old serial numbers on file but has all the features of the Uncle John.

Kind regards,

Adrian.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.