Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by thin I mean thinner than what I see sold as 'rain jacket'.
by small I mean 'packs small'

It doesn't have to be rainstorm proof, I have a good jacket for that. I'm looking for windproof and light-rain-proof.

Right now I'm using the O2 raingear yellow thing. I've been reasonably happy with it, but as somebody said before, it feels like wearing a garbage bag. Even, a garbage bag with crappy seams. And it doesn't pack small.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Nalini Sinchi

Simple, comfortable, and not too costly. Mine keeps me dry for the first 15 minutes or so and adds about 10f of warmth on cooler day. Hard to find except for websites in Denmark and Holland, whose climates speak well of their usefulness. Google Nalini Sinchi and see what comes up.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Pierre said:
by thin I mean thinner than what I see sold as 'rain jacket'.
by small I mean 'packs small'

It doesn't have to be rainstorm proof, I have a good jacket for that. I'm looking for windproof and light-rain-proof.

Right now I'm using the O2 raingear yellow thing. I've been reasonably happy with it, but as somebody said before, it feels like wearing a garbage bag. Even, a garbage bag with crappy seams. And it doesn't pack small.

Thanks !
Pearl Izumi has one named the Optik Jacket. Water resistant, not proof, but it is light and packs small. Descente has a similar model named the Velom.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,459 Posts
REI has several models of very lightweight and packable rain jackets. I toured Germany and Austria last year, unfortunately during some of the worst rain in 50 years. My REI rain jacket kept me quite dry.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
teoteoteo said:
Pearl Izumi has one named the Optik Jacket. Water resistant, not proof, but it is light and packs small. Descente has a similar model named the Velom.
The PI Optik jacket is very nice. It packs down to the size of a couple of decks of cards. I can stuff it into a standard bike jersey pocket and still have room for a couple of Clif Bars or knee warmers.

Castelli Teseo jacket is a little more compact, but less water resistant and not as durable.

Neither of these jackets is designed to be storm proof. They are designed to extendend the temperature range of your cycling jersey and give you some weather/wind protection in light rain and fast mountain downhills.

I have not seen any of the other jackets mentioned in this thread. How compact are they when folded up?

·
Rollin' Stones
2,641 Posts
Pi optik

I have one of these as well. It's pretty nice. Keepes me dry from rain and sweat. Packs down really small. I can't believe nobody here has couged up the serious dough for one of those Assos jackets. I'd like to hear how those work.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Make sure you try the jacket on before buying. A good cycling jacket should fit fairly snugly so fabric doesn't flap around and let cold air or rain in underneath. Sizing does vary widely between brands. The cycling-specific jackets will generally fit much better than the general purpose jackets.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
On me the PI Optik jacket flaps a lot. I hate that. I have a house-brand Excel jacket that doesn't pack quite as small (but close) and flaps a lot less. I may remove the sleeves from the PI jacket, since that is where most of the flapping is, and use it as a vest. It's that bad.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
ericm979 said:
On me the PI Optik jacket flaps a lot. I hate that. I have a house-brand Excel jacket that doesn't pack quite as small (but close) and flaps a lot less. I may remove the sleeves from the PI jacket, since that is where most of the flapping is, and use it as a vest. It's that bad.
You can probably get a seamstress to narrow the arms a little. Fit depends alot on body shape. PI stuff tends to be cut for USA sizes, which are bigger in the shoulders and arms than Euro sizes.

·
Banned
657 Posts
johnny99 said:
A Coke can is 2 or 3 times bigger than some of the other jackets mentioned in this thread.
Yeah, but can you get one for $15.00? And, how much smaller do you need it to pack? Mabe a Swiss Army Area 51coat you could roll into a pen-sized case? Sweet!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.