Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a frame, budget low to moderate. Have a fair amount of componets, but want to go disc.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Redline would be cheapest. Then I think Interloc or Soma might make a steel cx that has tabs as well. Cannondale above that in price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Soma Double Cross is canti only. You could, of course, run an adaptor like the one from Paul's Components. If you can stretch your budget then the best choice would be to go with Vicious Cycles. Here's the sort of thing they can do...

·
Registered
165 Posts
SortedCycles said:
The Soma Double Cross is canti only. You could, of course, run an adaptor like the one from Paul's Components. If you can stretch your budget then the best choice would be to go with Vicious Cycles. Here's the sort of thing they can do...
On a similar tip, www.curtlo.com makes custom fillet brazed (cross) frames/forks for even less than vicious cycles. Though less money the frame alone will still set you back almost $700. My guess is this doesn't meet your budget requirements but you never know.

The redline frames certainly do seem inexpensive and pretty light. As long as you're not biased against aluminum it might be a good bet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If used is an option

and you are not in a hurry,consider the Mongoose badged frame made by Ti Sports.I've had 5 cross bikes and Its the best.They come up on ebay and the classifieds from time to time and because they say Mongoose they get no respect and sell pretty cheap.I paid ~$340 for my frame. I ran discs for a while and went back to cantis because I had many rim brake wheelsets to use.

Disc brakes are way better,tho.

Dan

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Cannondale has one too.

Of course no disc's in any cross races that follows the UCI rules, not sure if that includes USCF races for next year as well. Its a stupid rule, but a rule never the less.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I think UCSF will still be okay next year. maybe UCI will change their reg. It seems silly to me (the reg) but I also think discs for cx racing is overkill and added weight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Spicer cycles for a frame or disc tabs welded on...

Gripfer said:
Looking for a frame, budget low to moderate. Have a fair amount of componets, but want to go disc.

Try Spicer Cycles. They make aluminum cross frames starting around $350, but they also can add a rear disc tab to any frame for about $30. (I'm sending my frame in right now to get a rear disc tab welded on, something I've been wanting to do for a while!)
hit www.spicercycles.com for info...

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
Salsa puts out the Las Cruces frame and fork for roughly $1k. And Kona has thiers for Roughly $700 frame only. Both of these are scadium. I've got a Kona waiting for me at the shop, and I'm waiting for a $500 check from the sale of a Single speed I just sold. I'll have a new cross bike soon! Yay!

·
Registered
71 Posts
  • Try checking out the Cannondale X1000, 2004 Kona Major Jake (frame only), 2004 Salsa Las Cruces(frame only), Monac Cross (frame only)...

·
Hilly McNilly
125 Posts
SortedCycles said:
What tooth size is the chain ring? Looks real nice... Spot.
What size is that bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
donkekus said:
What tooth size is the chain ring? Looks real nice... Spot.
What size is that bike?
Can't give you any info on the ring size as Carl sent us the picture so that we could pass it on to one of our customers who is interested in a disc'd Slider. I can't remember the exact size but I'm sure it's either a 46 or 48cm.

If you're in the market for a small cross frame speak to Carl or Jim at Vicious Cycles and they'll give you all the info you need.

[email protected]

·
Registered
459 Posts
It's not that UCI has banned the brakes. They simply haven't approved them. And the reason that they haven't approved them is because they haven't been asked to do so. And they haven't been asked to do so because the manufacturers of disk brakes haven't gotten off their asses.

So it's NOT a stupid rule on the part of the UCI.

It's laziness on the part of the manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts