Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a powerpoint presentation from our VP of HR on how to deliver a crisp, focusted and efficient presentation. On page 55 (The presentation was 57 pages), she asks "Who on my team needs this learning?" :rolleyes:


Her department controls the budget for training and eductation.
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Chain said:
Just received a powerpoint presentation from our VP of HR on how to deliver a crisp, focusted and efficient presentation. On page 55 (The presentation was 57 pages), she asks "Who on my team needs this learning?" :rolleyes:


Her department controls the budget for training and eductation.

How is a 57 page presentation "crisp, focused and efficient"?
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jupiterrn said:
How is a 57 page presentation "crisp, focused and efficient"?
Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department :D
 

·
"El Bwana"
Joined
·
4,399 Posts
Is there any department in corporate America that is as worthless as HR? Accounting can handle benefits and pay people, various department heads pick and hire people. Oh wait, HR needs to buy the birthday cakes for the monthly Birthday Celebrations.
 

·
Clear Lake, TX
Joined
·
3,269 Posts


 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PDex said:
Is there any department in corporate America that is as worthless as HR? Accounting can handle benefits and pay people, various department heads pick and hire people. Oh wait, HR needs to buy the birthday cakes for the monthly Birthday Celebrations.
We used to have the touchy-feely give you a hug HR department. Over the last 5 years they have run all the touchy-feely off and replaced them with some professional do-nothings.

i.e. Last week I filled out the training request form and had my boss sign it. Took it down to the education coordiator. She looks a the form and says that HR doesn't have the budget to pay for the training and I will have to get my department to pay for it, but she still needs to review an approve it so that she can keep track of all the training going on. :rolleyes: Uh, since you're not paying for any, I guess her job (and her only job) is pretty freakin' easy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,910 Posts
Education is like a double-edged sword. It may be turned to dangerous uses if it is not properly handled.
Wu Ting-Fang
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
You should run the text through Babelfish from English to Spanish to Dutch and back to English and send it back.
 

·
Spicy Dumpling
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
PDex said:
Is there any department in corporate America that is as worthless as HR? Accounting can handle benefits and pay people, various department heads pick and hire people. Oh wait, HR needs to buy the birthday cakes for the monthly Birthday Celebrations.
I'm with you. Although the cake and ice cream about 20 minutes ago was most excellent!
 

·
the fist
Joined
·
13,711 Posts
I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate hr. Worthless and lame and fail and fail/fail all wrapped in one big package of, well, fail.
 

·
Steaming piles of opinion
Joined
·
10,503 Posts
Chain said:
Just received a powerpoint presentation from our VP of HR on how to deliver a crisp, focusted and efficient presentation. On page 55 (The presentation was 57 pages), she asks "Who on my team needs this learning?" :rolleyes:


Her department controls the budget for training and eductation.
At least it wasn't a presentation on language skills. That would have been an easy answer, too.


HR's only purpose is to limit lawsuits. When the planet goes to hell, we're going to put them on the ship with the hairdressers and telephone-handset cleaners.

Oh, wait...
 

·
Beetpull DeLite
Joined
·
12,756 Posts
This week our HR leader shot down the environmental person for our plant. She wanted to wear a T-shirt which said, "I like boys who recycle." OMG how offensive! He told her it would be ok if it said "people" instead of "boys."
 

·
Back from the dead
Joined
·
20,626 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
This week our HR leader shot down the environmental person for our plant. She wanted to wear a T-shirt which said, "I like boys who recycle." OMG how offensive! He told her it would be ok if it said "people" instead of "boys."
She should have said, "Well, obviously, this is not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products."
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
GirchyGirchy said:
This week our HR leader shot down the environmental person for our plant. She wanted to wear a T-shirt which said, "I like boys who recycle." OMG how offensive! He told her it would be ok if it said "people" instead of "boys."
"If she's hot just give her a t-shirt that says "I like boys who cycle."
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mohair_chair said:
In every presentation you do from now on, copy that slide into it as the last one. It will be a good running joke.
I do very very few presentations. Actually I go to very few meetings. I prefer one-on-one discussions with those that can actually make decisions. Once the decision is made, I let them spread the word to their organization.

I friggin' hate group meetings. Everyone postures and tries to take over. It's like going for a group ride and having everyone try and pull at the same time.
 

·
Festina Lente'
Joined
·
11,508 Posts
Chain said:
I do very very few presentations. Actually I go to very few meetings. I prefer one-on-one discussions with those that can actually make decisions. Once the decision is made, I let them spread the word to their organization.

I friggin' hate group meetings. Everyone postures and tries to take over. It's like going for a group ride and having everyone try and pull at the same time.
Jeez... I often go to more than 5 meetings a day, scheduled for 1 hour, and by golly they are going to take an hour.

Charts? I have monthly charts, weekly charts, and charts for the sake of charts. Sooo many chart packages I dont have time to make the reports for them. Powerpoint is the new data archival system... ugh...
 

·
Seat's not level
Joined
·
19,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BentChainring said:
Jeez... I often go to more than 5 meetings a day, scheduled for 1 hour, and by golly they are going to take an hour.

Charts? I have monthly charts, weekly charts, and charts for the sake of charts. Sooo many chart packages I dont have time to make the reports for them. Powerpoint is the new data archival system... ugh...
Funny part is, I create the systems that generate a lot of the reports. I was asked to redesign the monthly reports. I took 200 pages of reports and ground them down to about 25 that made sense. Once the initial development was done, I handed them off to the department that needed to present them. Last I saw the package had balooned back up to about 175 pages. Now everyone is complaining that there is too much crap again....:rolleyes:

I had weeded the reports down to those that identified problems. Once a problem was identified, more reports were designed to investigate the problem. Instead of fixing the problem, they decided they needed to see the same info on every business unit. Now they spend hours reviewing charts that tell them everything is okay. They/we would be much better off if they spent time actually solving the problems that they no longer have time to look at because of all the "status-quo is okay" reports. Idjuts :mad2:
 

·
Captain Obvious
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
god i'm glad i don't have to deal with that crap.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top