Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing the wide range of old, steel bikes around town, it made me wonder how old the oldest carbons bikes are that folks here are riding. I know carbon hasn't been around all that long, but do people keep their carbon bikes as long as metal bikes, or do the carbon ones get retired/traded sooner. What say you?

·
I'm workin' on it....
255 Posts
Until I sold it last year, I had a Specialized Epic Comp that must have been from the early 90's. I bought it used and rode it for about three years, before buying a new bike. It certainly seemed old, judging by the look of the Ultegra components, but it was sturdy and solid and rode well. The guy I sold it to is still riding it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
One of the really good things about the whole hipster/fixie thing is that lots of old steel bikes are being "recycled" into bikes that taking up space in the bike lane rather than the landfill.

Old carbon bikes are newer than old steel bikes, and so the are more expensive, have verticle dropouts, and are less adaptable (no cold setting, etc.) than steel, so you don't see as many around.

I singleated a Kestrel 200EMS that was 14-16 years old, but it got in a fight with a SUV and lost.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
I say... Giant Cadex (same as that Specialized ... Epic?) are pretty freaking old. Then... what about those old Vitus frames. My friend back in the day had one, it was noodly as hell. Ive not seen a rear wheel wag like that when climibing for some time... its hard to forget. Needless to say, Im not riding either one.

·
Hammer
472 Posts
I ride 3 Zipp2001's from the early 90's. One has over 40,000 miles, one at just under 17,000, and the third has just over 500 miles. I just build the third one up this year after digging it out of storage. The one with over 40,000 miles is being lent out to a friend of mine who is trying some tri's this year.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I recently was forced to sell my beloved 1986 Kestrel 4000 due to a nasty and expensive divorce. It was full Campy C record w/Delta brakes, Specialized tri spoke wheels painted to match the custom cycleart paint job and classic selle san marco regal saddle. Now look what you've done... I'm starting to cry...THAT *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
1/10th as pissed off...
325 Posts
I have a 1991 Kestrel 200 SC that is my primary ride. I commute 28 miles round trip every day, and the folks in my office think I'm a nutcase. It still rides as good as when I purchased it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I still ride at 1993 Trek OCLV Mountainbike

The title says it all. I'm riding a hardtail Trek OCLV Mountain Bike.

I bought the bike in 1993 and have ridden it hard on many many occasions. I've only ridden it 5-6 times in the last 3 years. I've got kids (see the very popular kid excuse thread for more).

Bike still looks and rides great.

·
trying to HTFU...
1,910 Posts
1990 Kestrel 200ems. just had it fixed in '06 for
chainstay damage from a gnarly chain-suck.
did the '07 malibu triathlon bike leg, and upgraded
almost everything to ultegra sl this year(only have
the FD left.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 1992 Trek 5200 that I rode regularly until three years ago when I got a Madone. Nowadays, it draws indoor roller duty mostly, but it does touch pavement every so often...

·
Roadbike Rider
1,293 Posts
Does this Epic Pro count?

It's all that I saved after going over top of another bike in a pile up. I think this was one of the last years, but I had a 1990 before it came unglued at the chain stay. They did that

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.