Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of months ago a bill was introduced in our state senate that would allow motorcycles to proceed through a red light if the light wouldn't change because the cycle couldn't be detected by the magnetic loop. This is also a common problem for bicyclists.

Shortly after the the bill was introduced I was at a meeting attended by my state senator and assemblyman. I know them fairly well because of my job and buttonholed them to suggest bicycles be included along with motorcycles. Low and behold a few weeks later I get a call from a staffer telling me an amendment was made to the bill to include bicyclists.

Today I got a call by another staffer to let me know that the Assembly concurred with the Senate amendment, the bill had passed both houses and was on it's way to the governors desk. Not only did they listen but they called me twice to let me know what was going on. I'm impressed and I think the change will be good for bicyclists. Here's a link to the bill. This link doesn't include the amendment to add bicyclists but it was put in the bill. http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2005/data/SB-528.pdf

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good work on getting us included.:thumbsup: I ride in the La Crosse area and while I can get out of town relatively stoplight free, there are a few that I have sat at for some time. I either wait for a clearing and run it, or get on the sidewalk and push the walk button.

Dave

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
A couple of months ago a bill was introduced in our state senate that would allow motorcycles to proceed through a red light if the light wouldn't change because the cycle couldn't be detected by the magnetic loop. This is also a common problem for bicyclists.

Shortly after the the bill was introduced I was at a meeting attended by my state senator and assemblyman. I know them fairly well because of my job and buttonholed them to suggest bicycles be included along with motorcycles. Low and behold a few weeks later I get a call from a staffer telling me an amendment was made to the bill to include bicyclists.

Today I got a call by another staffer to let me know that the Assembly concurred with the Senate amendment, the bill had passed both houses and was on it's way to the governors desk. Not only did they listen but they called me twice to let me know what was going on. I'm impressed and I think the change will be good for bicyclists. Here's a link to the bill. This link doesn't include the amendment to add bicyclists but it was put in the bill. http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2005/data/SB-528.pdf
Good Job Mel

Next time you see them why don't you mention that Wisconsin State Trails should be paved like Minnesota's. It's worth a shot.

Scot

·
Registered
611 Posts
Here in Cali, if a traffic signal sensor does not detect a road-legal vehicle (including a motorcycle or a bicycle), it may be treated as a defective signal, and the operator may proceed against the light when safe. I don't have the cite handy, but that's the gist. I've been pulled over on my moto for doing this, and explained the situation to the officer, including the fact that I sat through two cycles of the light before proceeding. He wasn't sure about the legality, but said he was going to look it up, warned me to ride carefully and sent me on my way.

Jim

·
It's all ball bearings
5,285 Posts
I believe they just passed a similar bill here in Washington state for motorcycles, but I don't think it explicitly includes bicycles. Whatever the case, I've been turning/proceeding at non-timer red lights that don't detect my presence pretty much since I started riding bikes. What am I supposed to do, sit there and wait 5 minutes for a car to come up behind me to trigger the light to change? Don't think so.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many of the Wisconsin trails are paved, including most of the Chippewa River Trail that goes through Eau Claire. Personally, I like the fact that many are not paved. Keeps them more rustic, no roller bladers and wannabe racers. Just putzy trails.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I know nothing of the technology involved, but it is possible to make a traffic sensor that recognizes a bicycle. In my city, there is a picture of a bicycle painted on the road at many intersections. If you stop your bike right on top of the picture, the light will change for you, even with no cars anywhere around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.