Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a FSA cartridge bearing internal headset, where the bearings drop into the headtube. The races rusted so I'd like to replace them with stainless. Can anyone recommend a particular brand or seller?

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
NEO Dan said:
I have a FSA cartridge bearing internal headset, where the bearings drop into the headtube. The races rusted so I'd like to replace them with stainless. Can anyone recommend a particular brand or seller?
Just to be sure, is that integrated or internal? I can never keep them straight.

If possible, I'd aim at Cane Creek. There are cheeper brands (FSA) and better ones (King, etc) but CC often hits the sweet spot. I'm just not sure if they make what you need.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not 100% sure on the type, I'll be pulling it apart next week - It's integrated totally - it consists of two bearings that drop into the head tube split races for the fork and an aluminum cap with a seal that touches the head tube.

I'd like to be able to ride in the wet or rain and wash the bike without having this rust issue. Currently I've packed the head tube cup areas with grease to hold off the rust, but the grease is migrating out, I used Park poly lube.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's an orbit ce plus with an alloy cap instead of carbon, I think the trade name is hiddenset.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The CE is Campy standard I believe. I know Enduro makes some high quality SS bearings, but I think only for Cane Creek standard. In any case it would only be a few dollars more for a higher quality headset, like the is8i, which is all either stainless or aluminum, including the fork race.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
"Stainless" steel gives up some strength for better ( but not complete) corrosion resistance. With headset bearings generally wearing out long before rusting away, I seriously doubt that anyone would use a "stainless" steel for a bearing race. IMO, you have a salt issue (sweat or salt-laden air) and might have been less than enthusiastic about wiping down your bike after a ride or an indoor trainer session.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Get the replacement bearings for a Cane Creek 110IS headset. They are the highest quality IS bearings available and will work with your headset.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
  • I have a rust issue caused by getting caught in the rain twice and then also hand washing the bike twice.
  • The bike is only two months old, practically new, and lives indoors, in central Ohio, so no salt fog ect.
  • It's like you said the races generally are not made of stainless - these ones are not for sure.
  • I do towel dry the bike but I don't know how that would have any effect on this problem
  • I don't ride the bike in a trainer

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lelandjt said:
Get the replacement bearings for a Cane Creek 110IS headset. They are the highest quality IS bearings available and will work with your headset.
Thanks Leland,
The funny thing is that CC only offers stainless in the CC standard no joy on the Campy :(

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
NEO Dan said:
Thanks Leland,
The funny thing is that CC only offers stainless in the CC standard no joy on the Campy :(
Woops, that's the mountainbiker in me. I forgot that on the road there's 2 IS standards. Campy needs to go back to only making quick releases.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Lelandjt said:
Woops, that's the mountainbiker in me. I forgot that on the road there's 2 IS standards. Campy needs to go back to only making quick releases.
But for some reason, Campy compatible integrated headsets are big in the BMX world.:D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lelandjt said:
Campy needs to go back to only making quick releases.
:rolleyes:

Richard said:
But for some reason, Campy compatible integrated headsets are big in the BMX world.:D
Good point the FSA Impact Pro being an example of a BMX Campy stainless headset.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts