Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seriously think that my life has been spent, gradually making the determination that camping sucks. No planning or Hollywood movie can adequately demonstrate just how disastrous this activity can be. I'm sitting here, and can come up with some ridiculous freak occurrence every single time we have legitimately attempted to camp, like with a tent.

Mind you I have no bear or skunk stories nor has anyone gotten lost or hypothermia. But I kid you not... I cannot recollect one single family-oriented camping excursion from my childhood, or parentness that has not been without some bizarre Murphy's law of improbability jumping out from behind the bushes.

From crushed toes, to an involuntary weaning, to catching myself on fire, to seed ticks, to a chihuahua injured by a bean can... the list is damn near endless.

There is a reason the tent remains bound up in the basement.

I like the concept of camping, but something seems amiss.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
You just suck at it. :D

Seriously, though- I find camping is tolerable when there are as many creature comforts as possible. To the point where I might as well just get a hotel.

Last camped in Yosemite about three years ago, just as the wildfires were waning. Entire vacation reeked of smoke, the views were a bit fogged over, but it was still a great experience. As long as my husband can set up the tent properly, I'm good.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I love camping, so I'm on the other end of the bell curve I guess. Things always seem to happen to me as well but it's just par for the course. Of course, I've never set myself on fire (knocks on wood). I've been in the military for years so I'm kind of used to being outside. The nice thing about camping in my civilian time is I get a tent, fire, some luxuries versus a mud hole in the ground.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
funknuggets sounds like one of those RV owning weenies this morning. HTFU.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
you're doing it wrong. I think I've been in a tent about 15 nights this past summer alone, including a 40 mile bike packing trip just last weekend with some family. rattlesnakes, goat heads, multiple flat tires. We had a great time (when we weren't patching tubes)!

load up a bike and get out of town.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have been car camping many times. Love the fresh cowboy coffee in the morning and my wifes cooks an awesome camp breakfast. We have 6 kids (grown now) and they were always energetic about camping, hiking and exploring.

Yes the ground is hard, it gets cold, and if it rains that sucks. It's part of the deal and you remember your trip.

I have been using a canvas tent for 35years now. The zipper just broke on it and it breaks my heart. I am not tossing it as I would like to have it repaired. You don't see canvas tents any more and I would like to keep using it. The tent has room to stand up inside which is nice for getting dressed.

In my college years I did a lot of cycle touring with camping. I loved those trips.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Sounds like your talking about car camping. you know, driving right up to a came site and pulling the tent out of the trunk and trying to recreate your living room around a picnic table.
That does suck. Don't really see the point.

Wilderness camping is excellent though. The type where you hike miles away from anything but nature and make due there. Probably not for everyone though. Some of my best camping trips were sleeping in a snow cave in -20f temps.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Wifey and I love to camp. It's allowed us to mtn bike all over the southwest for just the price of gas to get there.

Six years ago we bought a 91 VW Westfalia and since then we've spend most summer weekends based out of it on biking/canoeing/hiking trips. We now call it "glamping" although the only difference is that we have a cushy twin bed to sleep in and no longer have to load up the car with gear. Just throw the bikes, cooler, and a couple duffle bags into the van and we're off.

In fact, we just got back from a 9-day trip to Gooseberry Mesa and Bryce Canyon. It was awesome. Wake up, eat breakfast, then tear it up on the mtn bike, come "home" and catch a buzz while watching the sunset - with no need to drive anywhere, for days on end.

Edit (to reply to Jay): We used to love backpacking, in fact, it's a big reason why we moved to Montana. But, to be honest, we have little to no desire to do it anymore. I'm not really sure why.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Edit (to reply to Jay): We used to love backpacking, in fact, it's a big reason why we moved to Montana. But, to be honest, we have little to no desire to do it anymore. I'm not really sure why.
I'm in the NorthEast and while there is some really good stuff around Montana would be the place to move. I've only been on one backpacking trip out that way, in Idaho, and thought of moving there myself but couldn't find a decent job.

I don't do much of it anymore myself. Ever since discovering cycling I almost always pick cycling. I really miss it though.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I'm in the NorthEast and while there is some really good stuff around.
We spent a lot of time in the Adirondacks, White Mtns, and along the AT in PA (I grew in the Poconos). I feel like the way to really enjoy a backpacking trip is to have at least 3 days to do it. Then it becomes an issue of "would I rather hang out in the woods for 3 days or do something else"? I already do a fair bit of working outside so... and my wife would certainly rather ride the bike.

And grizzly bears. I used to not worry about them but with age comes trepidation.

·
Huge in Japan
456 Posts
I can live minimalist out of a backpack or fill the entire back (and extra cab) of my truck with camping comforts and anything in between those two scenarios. It's not about what others think is or is not camping it's about you enjoying yourself outside of and away from the house.

Do what you makes you happy, stay away from what makes you unhappy.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
Camping......When else is it proper to have a beer for breakfast and to melt the soles of your shoes while drinking the same, while sitting around a campfire?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
What I used to really like about camping/backpacking was how it would reset my perspective about material things. Returning home and filling a glass with unfiltered water from a faucet felt darnright opulent after a few days on the trail.

Now I enjoy it more for the reasons Mr_Grumpy explained.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
I freakin' LOVE to camp at the Marriott.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
love camping when doing outdoor stuff. Save money, get right up next to the adventure, etc. No really worry about the daily life!

But as others have said car camping or 'Glamping' often ends in failure due to misplaced expectations and complexities.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
But as others have said car camping or 'Glamping' often ends in failure due to misplaced expectations and complexities.
To clarify, when I said we "glamp" in the VW I was being sarcastic. There are true glamping operations near me where folks throw down big $ to be pampered and fed during their fly fishing vacation then retire to very nicely appointed tents. To each their own. I would have fun doing that too.

I always marveled at the amount of work my mom and step dad made for themselves when I camped with them as a kid. Spending hours setting up a giant screened-in tent over the picnic table, chopping wood, etc. etc. They've since moved on to a giant RV which they FINALLY realize is too big to fit in most of the places they would like to visit. But they have fun too.

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
Yay backpacking. Weekend trips in the local mountains of SoCal a dozen times a year and week long trips to various loops in the High Sierras.... Uintas was a great trip (Dead Horse Pass).

I started in Boy Scouts and while we had a few eh, forgettable trips, doing it as a kid mellows the memories and turns trauma into a learning experience/scar tissue. Some of the folks who have come along on a few weekenders clearly aren’t cut for it, and they just don’t return calls when we are gathering up the group for the next one.

The knee is a two time loser now, so carrying any additional weight down a hill isn’t possible any more. Just day hikes these days. I miss it though....

Virginia Lake south of Mammoth by a couple days.
(Scan from a rather banged up negative when I was shooting film)
Body of water Nature Natural landscape Mountainous landforms Natural environment

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I more was referring to camping with family being damn near impossible. Between OCD over preparedness, to sudden neurotic obsessions over things in the dark, obsession over cell coverage to the myriad of astounding things like losing ones glasses in the first 10 minutes, or picking a nice flat spot under the trees, only to wake up to a deluge... and being surrounded by cows in the muck... sometimes waking up to the stickiness and crap coffee just isn't worth it. Haha.

Now myself. Get me a bike, a six pack of non brown beer and a pillow... we are good to go.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
load up a bike and get out of town.

neil young said:
Get out of town,
think I'll get out of town,
Get out of town,
think I'll get out of town.
I head for the sticks
with my bus and friends,
I follow the road,