Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have a set of touring wheels built and want to get them built right and at a fair price. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts

·
Banned
3,915 Posts
And if you're not inclined to DIY, I'd suggest going to Lickton's in Illinois. They've built a few wheelsets for me and they've always been excellent. They'll also get you just about any rim/spoke/hub combination you could want.

Good prices, and Bob Lickton is just great to deal with.

www.lickbike.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Joe Young Wheels

I bought a set from Joe Young and have enjoyed them immensely. He has a website at http://www.youngwheels.com.

He is adverse to fads and will analyze your riding habits, body weight, price point and goals and suggest a set for you. I bought a set of Mavic CXP-33 rims with Hugi hubs that have been absolutely bomb proof. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheels

Thanks for the replies. Mike, I'd love to build my own wheels someday, but, I'd like to do it with inexpensive parts the first time. I'm wanting a high quality set of wheels and don't want to chance it. Lichton and Joe Young are on my list, as well as, Colorado Cyclist. I'd like Peter White to do them, but, he's quite a bit higher in price.

Ted

·
A wheelist
11,322 Posts
tedd said:
Mike, I'd love to build my own wheels someday, but, I'd like to do it with inexpensive parts the first time. I'm wanting a high quality set of wheels and don't want to chance it.
Ted I've lost count of the number of people who's first wheel included a King hub and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. Plus I don't remember anyone saying they messed it up or that they wished they hadn't taken my advice. Oh yeah a one or two TOOK my advice, they just didn't follow it.

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Word up dat!

Mike T. said:
May I suggest that you build them yourself? Lots of people have done it with the help of Sheldon and myself. I'll throw in Park Tool too -

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_truing.shtml http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/faq.htm#WTQ1
Seriously, 3X 32hole wheels are pretty easy to do. Don't be worried about it. I did mine from the Jobst Brandt book and they came out really nice. Every time I ride, I look down and think, "I built those, aren't they nice!". What's really nice is that, from now on, you can easily mix and match hubs and rims whenever you want w/o a MAJOR outlay of cash. Yes, you'll need spokes / nipples every build and likely you're swapping rims, but that's peanuts compared whole wheel prices. Plus there's that personal pride factor.

My first (and only so far) set took me about 2 1/2 hours and 2 beers to build.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave Thomas Speed Dreams

Speed Dream wheels! Dave is super nice and will build wheels for YOU! After answering some questions, he recommends a few options and explains his reasons very clearly. If you check out Speed Dream wheelset reviews on this site you will hear the same great things.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Another option

tedd said:
I'm going to have a set of touring wheels built and want to get them built right and at a fair price. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Another vote for Joe Young. Another option is Peter Chisholm at Vecchio's. You won't go wrong with either of these guys.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Speedreams or Mike Garcia...

are both great wheel builders and are worth looking in to for any wheel build you need. You mentioned touring wheels. Do you really mean a heavy duty touring wheel, such as a Mavic 520 rim? If you are going to carry a lot of weight this would be the way to go, but otherwise, you can get by with Open Pro rims, such as are built by Performance. Got a great deal and good build from them and also built a set myself.

·
Registered
573 Posts
2 things:

1) joe young lives in fredericksburg, which is my hometown, which is also a sort of bias. but, in talking with him these past few months, i really like what he has to say. he works with you quite well and just feels really comfortable. for my tour this summer, he recommended Open Pros/Hugi 240s/DT Super Comps + 90$ to build. that was way out of my range, so he gave me a few other recommendations. plus, he answered some questions i had when building my first wheel, about 2 weeks ago.....

2) building your own wheels really isn't that hard. my first build was a Reetard rim (mtb)/King Universal/DT Comps. 3x, 32h using The Art of Wheelbuilding. it was a trials wheel and has held up so far. the pride thing is true, and hearing someone say "man, just look at that wheel" makes you feel good. i don't know about the differences between a trials wheel and a road wheel, but if i can successfully build up a wheel, i think anyone can.

(word of advice, though, check the nipples before leaving the shop. i ended up with 32 out of spec nipples that cost me a couple hours of work time.)

·
Off the back
326 Posts
Velocity Dyads are great touring rims

tedd said:
These are what I built up for the cross bike. Man, they're tanks! 3X laced to 105 hubs with 14ga straights. They're not light-duty by any stretch of the imagination. For winter, I put WTB All-terrainasaurus tires 700x40 on them. This bike is the intimidator for sure!

These rims are excellent, but then again, I just love the Velocity stuff.

·
Registered
433 Posts
tedd said:
Colorado Cyclist does good work and their prices are reasonable. Call them at 800/688-8600 and discuss it with them. Turnaround time is good, too, I had mine in less than a week.

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Regarding price, ebay is the winner

was looking for components to build myself a set of Hugi 240 / revolution / open pros. Looking for the cheapest prices, sales and so on. And I didn't find anything better than the set I finally got, $275 already built on ebay from an unknown builder. They're holding well so far (way better than I expected), and if there's a problem I'll rebuild myself. With 32 spokes, if one breaks it's not a big deal anyways.

Building yourself will bring you the best wheels, but not the best price.

Pierre

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another vote for Colorado Cyclist...

I've had them build up mountain bike wheels for me in the past - quick delivery and nice wheels...I never really had any issues w/ them at all...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Pierre said:
was looking for components to build myself a set of Hugi 240 / revolution / open pros. Looking for the cheapest prices, sales and so on. And I didn't find anything better than the set I finally got, $275 already built on ebay from an unknown builder. They're holding well so far (way better than I expected), and if there's a problem I'll rebuild myself. With 32 spokes, if one breaks it's not a big deal anyways.

Building yourself will bring you the best wheels, but not the best price.

Pierre
I must respectfully disagree that if one spoke breaks with 32 total that it doesn't matter. A couple of years ago I pinch flatted on a rough gravel road (more like a trail actually) and popped one spoke. The wheel immediately pulled out of true far enough to lock the rim against the brake pads and give me one hell of a thrill ride down the gravel strewn hill. This was on a cross three 32 spoke wheel on my Lemond. Nothing quite like looking for a landing spot in gravel when all you are wearing is lycra.

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
tedd said:
1. I'd still say build them yourself. You're not going to screw anything up past fixing except maybe a few stripped nipples.

2. If you don't want to build them yourself, find someone local. That way, you can get them re-trued if they need it. As an added benefit, someone local can see you, figure out what works best for your riding style, and tailor the wheels a little better for you.

3. Did I mention build them yourself? I started with Ultegra and Open SUP CDs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lickton won the bid

Thanks everyone for your replies. I wanted to build the wheelset myself, but I wouldn't have saved much and I'm pressed for time. Lickton was the cheapest and I've heard good things about them, so I'm letting them do it. By the way, this is a touring wheelset, CK hubs, 36 hole 3 crossed with Mavic A719 rims and DT DB spokes. I hope I'm not dissapointed.

Ted

1 - 20 of 23 Posts