Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While researching a trailer purchase I came across discussion about using a kickstand to help stabilize the bike when parked. I haven't used or seen a kickstand since my first "serious" bike in the late 80's and those were the giant metal ones that bolted onto the bottom bracket.

Does anyone here use a kickstand on their commuter/touring bike? As I think about it I can see where it would be useful when trying to park with panniers attached.

Do you find it helpful? Does it add considerable weight or impact performance?

What brand do you reccomend?

Thank you

· Registered
3 Posts
I always removed the kickstands when they come on my bikes and i've had a few since my teenage years. Just never liked them. I noticed that they tend to get hooked to alot of things.

The handlebars and peddles which your your body contact points form the side of the bikes. Which is good because the sides of your bikes are where your hands and feet are and u have a feel for passing cars and trees and stuff. but the addition of a kickstand adds another 'side' to the bike that for me just decreases the cycling experience and because the kickstand ends with a sort of nook/hook you become a mini hazzard to other people and yourself especially if your cycling in urban areas where theres a 101 things u share the road with.

Also when i was doing alot of urban/offroad cycling, eveyrtime i drop or went down stairs or downhill etc, the kickstand would sort of vibrate abit and u can hear the 'twang' that comes from the spring and that just annoys the heck out of me.

There were also a few times when after i get on my bike and started cycling, i realized that the kickstand was not retracted which especially sucks if your doing a corner and u start hearing metal scratching against the road. a nasty surprise.

I just hate kickstands but thats just me. If your commuting theres always something to lean your bike on anyways, and if its indoors you can just lean it on the wall. the bicycle is an efficient/minimalist form of transport and the kickstand to me is just an extra piece of metal that doesnt justify its place on the bike.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
I keep thinking about putting one on my Soma. But that thing is pretty f-ing heavy already.

Though now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't support the bike when I've got my pannier loaded up.

· Registered
162 Posts
Putting a stand on a BOB is very easy. Get one of those rear triangle mounts, and bolt the mount on backwards, on the front part of the trailer. Then mount the kickstand to that. Kickstand comes off with the trailer, and it makes life a lot easier.

Without a trailer, a kickstand is a major hassle. With a trailer, I think it saves a lot of wear and tear on the frame from hoisting the bike up if it falls, and tweaking the rear triangle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.