Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
il miglior fabbro
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading glasses that is.
I'm far-sighted - I don't need glasses for driving, I can read the road signs half a klic down the road well enough but I need them for reading, especially the fine print. Lately, I've been finding it a strain to read the information on the odo/hrm on the handlebar and have been wondering if some spectacles are in order.
I realize there are safety concerns but there's also a safety issue of having to study the odo/hrm for a few extra seconds to get the information I'm interested in, when my eyes should be back on the road.
Any thoughts on the practicalility of wearing glasses on a bike? I assume they'd have to be bifocals but I ain't wearin' senior citizens' space goggles over them!

Thanks

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I'd get some cycling glasses and have prescription lenses put in them. I'm far sighted, but have no problems with seeing/doing things when I ride. I stash a cheap pair of reading glasses in my jersey pocket. And I mean cheap, like $1.00.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
I'm nearsighted, so I've worn glasses for most of my life. Now I've got that age-related farsightedness (presbyopia) as well, so I wear progressive multi-focals most of the time (like bifocals, but change gradually). On cloudy days or at night I wear my regular glasses, but for cycling in the sun I got prescription sunglasses with a bifocal section for the computer and maps. It works well.

You could do something similar. An optician could make you lenses with plain glass for most of the surface, with a small reading-correction section at the bottom. You can get them tinted however you want.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
bigbri said:
I assume they'd have to be bifocals but I ain't wearin' senior citizens' space goggles over them!

Thanks
I've worn glasses for distance vision since I was about 35, but didn't need help up close until a couple of years ago, in my late 50s, when I couldn't read the bike computer. Bifocals fixed it instantly, and I can't think of a reason they wouldn't work for you--if you don't need correction for distance, the top portion can be ground flat. Lineless bifocals look just like regular glases, so nobody has to know your eyes are as old as the rest of you.
Why would you need "space goggles" over them, though? The glasses themselves work fine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wear bifocals in Aviator frames - "Thin and Dark" photochromatic lens material by Corning. I also wore this same material for many years when riding a motorcycle. This same material is also used in my "all of the time" glasses in a much smaller frame. Works for me and will darken when driving a car.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
You might want to consider contacts. The ones I wear are disposable. I leav'em in for a week, then just toss'em. They're less expensive than glasses, and you can wear any kind of sunglasses without any hassles. When I first got mine, it took me about an hour to get used to them. I don't even know they're there except for the fact that I can read things when they're in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.